Official Topic What Game(s) Are You Currently Playing on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

Up to Chapter 5(?) on Chaos;Child - the game's taking an increasingly dark and disturbing tone, but I'm really enjoying it!

Nothing else is getting a look in!

TheAtom likes this.
  2. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I pretty much finished Dungeon Travelers, though the 2,000 monsters trophy will be looming over my head before I can truly say "I'm done with you!!" (Oh, and I REALLY want that sequel to come over now, although I'm quite sure it won't...) But anyway! I started Gravity Rush! It's pretty tough getting used to the gravity-flip system, but it's already REALLY cool. Also the best way anyone's ever implemented comic/manga style storytelling in movies/games imo.

Axeru777 and Flying_Pig like this.
  3. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Well-Known Member

I can say that this is exactly me lol!! They look really good on full-colour!!!

I'm glad now we are getting steady release of the series.

Axeru777 and TheAtom like this.
  4. Flying_Pig

Up to chapter of Chaos;Child - wow, the game has taken a massively dark turn - far darker than anything in Steins;Gate! :eek:

Super game too - not quote as good as Steins;Gate, but better than Steins;Gate 0 though

TheAtom likes this.
  5. Detective Kaito

Detective Kaito Active Member

Been a while since I've signed so might as well comment.

Currently playing Danganronpa V3, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Ys Origin, SAO: Hollow Realization, and Undertale.

Lots of games and not enough time!

danganronpa v3 and ys viii are masterpieces, btw.

6. TheAtom

I recently finished Gravity Rush (man, it's good!) and went on to play A.W. Phoenix Festa as I've finally caught up to the end of it the Phoenix Festa in the novels. Man, what a horrible, horrible adaptation that is... The fighting is fun for a very short while, seeing the characters you know from reading and a few still images in full 3D movement and controlling them is AWESOME, but sheesus it lacks depth. It's INCREDIBLY easy, even if your stats aren't up to par. Mind you, I found Senran Kagura to be almost too difficult at times: I'm not good at this. It's just that... well, the enemy isn't either. It's fun to see they tried to give certain characters their own playstyle (gunner Saya keeps running away to create distance, whereas axewielder Lester keeps running at you to close that distance) but dear lord, it's far too predictable. The character models look pretty cool though, and they definitely deserve credit for that, but... it's just not good. Outside of battles, it's pretty darned boring. The bits of story here and there do not do the novels any justice, sadly.

So yeah, put that on hold for now. Now I started Blazblue ChronoPhantasm and it's DOPE.

Axeru777 likes this.
  7. Flying_Pig

Got my first ending on Chaos;Child last night - I'm now just searching for some more endings. Good stuff :D

TheAtom likes this.
  8. Axeru777

Axeru777 Well-Known Member

Just finished Super Robot Wars V. What an epic game. It was really nice to see robots from my childhood again! The battle animations are really good!

Looking forward to playing Super Robot Wars X when it comes out!

9. Axeru777

Playing Dynasty Warriors Next. Itching for some mindless hack and slash.

Is it just me or does it really look and play better than DW8 Xtreme Legends?

10. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Finished Persona 4 Dancing All Night 2 days ago.

In a nutshell, the story is fine for what it is but don't expect anything deep (story mode does contain few spoilers from P4/P4G)

The game it's story mode is in essence a VN with rhythm gameplay in between, you do need to play and finish the story mode to unlock all the extras in the shop and to unlock all the music tracks in the game (I finished the story mode in around 10 hours).

Voice acting is in english and it has full voice acting for the most part of the story mode, the VN parts has nice graphics and so does the game itself.

Performance wise it's great and I never had any framerate drop, also the loading times are fairly quick (quicker than in Miku games on the Vita for example).

Then there is the music and it's AWESOME, the game contains music from the original game but there are also remixed versions of the original tracks that can be played and I really like the music in the game.

Only issue (in my opinion) is that the gameplay is harder than you would think, on easy and normal it's fine but on hard difficulty there seems to be a spike in how much harder the gameplay gets... and that's not even the highest difficulty in the game.

No idea what I should play next so maybe I should play some of the games I started in the past without finishing them.

TheAtom likes this.
  11. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

Currently having a blast on Star Wars The Force Awakens ...I really do have a soft spot for lego games and the cut scenes always make me smile. Follows the film quite nicely to , lovely graphics and you get to fly the millenium falcon what else do you need. :)

12. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter Evolution
    So far, so good :)

13. TheAtom

Vita_Girl have you played Senran Kagura: Bon Appétit? I already find Rin's song on Normal pretty darned tough (can't always win it), and on hard I am not sure if I've ever actually won a song... I'm not particularly good at rhythm games (which is horrible, because I make music), but man... not being able to beat everything on normal sucks. Anyway, question is: if you have played it, how does the difficulty relate to Persona: Dancing All Night? I've been having a lot of fun again going for a platinum in SK:BA, so a new rhythm game could be fun.

As for me, I've been playing a ton of different games. I mainly play Blazblue: Chronophantasma Extend. It's such a great game and a beautiful way to test how darned awesome the Vita's D-pad is (though I must admit, I've been able to pull off basic fighting game moves with the DS4's D-pad as well lately! Practice makes... well... better!). The story mode is incredibly deep for a fighting game, and I'm happy it came with a recap of the previous games (cause it'd been a while).

But! If that game crashes too often (which it does a lot in Abyss Mode), I sometimes play some Senran Kagura: Bon Appétit, which is just great. I've finished the story mode a while ago already, so I'm mostly going on for an arcade mode on Normal to then lose the final song against Rin or Daidoji, typically.

And if I get tired of playing both, I play Ratchet and Clank: The Trilogy on the Vita, which must be said because the other two are either on the PSTV or PSVita, and this one isn't PSTV compatible, sadly. I'm in the first game, and it's a fun, easy 3D platformer for when Blazblue gets too technical, but man... Playstation 2 graphics have not aged well. It just all looks so dark and grim even when I know certain worlds are supposed to be lush and green... Were they allergic of lighter green colours or what?

And finally, every now and then I get to play some Earth Defense Force 2. Great, great fun. Hoping to get a cheap second copy (digital or physical) so we can shoot some giant ants together.

zodaex likes this.
  14. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I still need to get that DLC for Bon Appétit.

I will try to explain this the best way possible.

What makes Persona 4 Dancing All Night more difficult on hard (easy and normal mode are more forgivable) is that all "notes" come from the middle to one of the 6 sides (3 left and 3 on the right, arrow up, left, down and triangle, circle and X).

You have hold notes, regular notes, "strechy notes" (you press 2 buttons at the same time) and you have regular circles and Fever circles (both works the same by pressing the joystick or L or R button, the Fever ones are the most important, regular ones count for combos).

Sounds easy but what makes it at least for me harder than Miku, Taiko of Bon Appétit is that it all comes from the middle to the sides, on easy and normal that's not an issue but on harder difficulties you can quickly lose track of notes because you follow 1 or more notes but forget the other notes that come afterwards to the different side.

Where in Bon Appétit it's more about how fast you can react on the notes you see, they will always comes from the same side and you have plenty of time to follow them before pressing the right button, same with Taiko but that game is harder than Bon Appétit (personal opinion).

Hatsune Miku is a different story, I can follow the notes perfectly and I learned myself how to follow them all but my issue with Miku games is that physically I can't press fast enough with my left hand, which especially in Future Tone is a big issue for me on higher difficulties.

So in short what makes P4DaN difficult in my opinion is how the notes come from the middle to the sides and how easy you can lose track of them on hard and All Night difficulty.

Talking about Vita it's d-pad, the last 8 months or so I played a lot of Vita games that don't use the joysticks at all and in my opinion the d-pad on the Vita is the best one Sony has ever made (I hate the one on PS4, it feels mushy).

Especially in Puyo Puyo Tetris it's great.

Rachet & Clank trilogy on the Vita and PS3 is great (I played the PS3 version) but on the Vita itself the best trilogy in my opinion is the Sly Trilogy (performance and graphics wise) because compared to the other 2 trilogy games it's a better port overall.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    KaiserDragon, zodaex and TheAtom like this.
  15. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Gravity Rush. Up to Chapter 7 & really enjoying it although I'm not very good at the challenges!

Flying_Pig likes this.
  16. TheAtom

Vita_Girl Thanks for the elaborate comparison! I really appreciate it! From what I get, both P4DaN and Hatsune Miku games are not for me... I might just give it a shot if I see it for a good price though. On a difficult song in SK:BA I already get confused when it's just the same button, but alternating between the two lines coming at you... I can't imagine P4DaN's flying buttons to go very well. I remember trying Hatsune Miku as well on the 3DS, the demo that is, and what I found to be so difficult, was getting a grip on when the button presses actually hit your cursor. That's why I think Taiko seems like the best try for me. XD

Sometimes I wonder if I should stick to turn-based RPGs... :(

I do have the Sly Trilogy in my backlog as well though! Purchased it at the same time! I really want to get the Jak & Daxter trilogy as well (that's got serious nostalgia for me, though we only had Jak II... Oh, how times fly by... anyway.), but everything online says it's damn near unplayable :(

I saw there's a new remaster for the PS4 though, may just pick that up.

17. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Well-Known Member

Gonna do some optional stuff and roam around some more in Rise of the Tomb Raider on the PS4 before digging into Moero Chronicle, looking forward to it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  18. Flying_Pig

I think I'm closing in on the True Ending for Chaos;Child, so should get it finished by the end of this week :)

It's a very good VN, although not as good as the wonderful Steins;Gate.

zodaex and TheAtom like this.
  19. TheAtom

It hasn't been long but my 'rotation' has changed drastically!

I finished the story mode on Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma Extend and I'm putting it on hold. I like it, may still put some time in the abyss mode, probably will go through the extra story content still, but most of the actual fighting game stuff... Man, I'm just not good enough... I don't have the time nor will, and definitely not the lack-of-a-backlog to git gud I guess. Though I do fondly remember slaying rows of opponents online in Soul Calibur 4 or 5. I had those Siegfried stance combos down! I didn't even like Siegfried though! Oh the nostalgia. A vita port of the upcoming SC6 is dream material, although I'm unsure whether the 3D fighting game will translate as well as Blazblue does.

I also platinum'ed Senran Kagura BA (I'm no trophy hunter, not even slightly, but it is fun to get these things).

So what's left? Well! For now, mostly Ratchet and Clank. It's really fun, the battles and platforming sections are at times tough (yeah no, in the line of Ichiro from Paying to Win in a VRMMORPG (definitely a recommendation for a Light Novel btw), I can say that they are objectively not all too hard, but I think they're pretty darned difficult sometimes), and the simplicity of the storylines is endearing when following my wife's playthrough of The Witcher 3. I am amazed with how dark and drab everything looks. It's not even just lighting effects, but could they really not choose a lighter green for their grass and trees?

Andreas Stalin likes this.
  20. ninty72

Just finished the main story in Star Wars Force Awakens ....blimming brillant little game. Now to do the side quests ....just started the Battle of Endor ...i can be an EWOK ! Life cannot get any better.

The best Lego game to date on the vita by a mile but i havnt started Jurrasic Park yet so who knows. :)

zodaex likes this.
  21. Andreas Stalin

Soon hitting the third dungeon in Moero Chronicle. Pretty standard dungeon crawler so far but the art is really...pretty, and the innuendo is everywhere. Compile Heart never really lets me down when it comes to this stuff.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  22. ninty72

I remember Compile in the good old days ...pc engine shooter heaven :)

23. Andreas Stalin

Vow I didn’t know about this....dark past of Compile Heart! There actually was a company called Compile that went bankrupt in 2003. On Wikipedia it says that key staff moved to Compile Heart while shoot’em up staff moved to Milestone Inc. which continued to put out games for the Dreamcast and Sega Naomi arcade board and also for the Wii and Nintendo (3)DS. They went out of business in 2013. Fascinating stuff!

ninty72 and TheAtom like this.
  24. TheAtom

Man... Ratchet and Clank 1 for the Vita is HARD. I want to blame the controls and the camera for certain sections, but in other places I feel like it's really just me as well. I mean, hoverboarding? Fuck man... that is SO TOUGH! I almost rage-quitted yesterday, until I figured out (after googling it, people were talking about a quick explanation window that tells you how the hoverboarding works, but I never even got that...) that touching the rear-pad makes you do tricks while jumping! Screw tricks! I'm having trouble enough as is! So after that, I gave it a few more shots, and it definitely went a LOT better, but not enough to be able to continue in the game... Today I'll try it again though!

Edit: I actually just read that Compile is the team behind Puyo Puyo! That's pretty interesting as well!

Andreas Stalin and KaiserDragon like this.
  25. Axeru777

Finished Dynasty Warriors Next. It's a good mindless hack and slash. I just hated the forced touch screen, rear touch pad, and gyroscope controls. The worst offender is that calligraphy minigame wherein you have to use the rear touch pad to find out invisible chinese words.

Now playing The Caligula Effect. I'm liking it so far. The battle system is very unique. You can preview your attacks before initiating them and there's focus on chaining the attacks of all of your party members for effective damage.

Mr Tornado and TheAtom like this.