Official Topic What Game(s) Are You Currently Playing on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

VA-11 HALL-A was awesome, short but awesome.

Great music, a must to play with headphones.

Next on the list SAO: Hollow Realization.

2. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

Finally finished Rachet and Clank 1 to 3 and really enjoyed them all apart from the blimming hoverboard bits.Now playing 3 again on challenge mode :)

3. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    Still playing a mix of Zen Pinball 2 and matches of Killzone: Mercenary when I'm out and about.

4. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

We started and platinum'ed Death Mark this last week. It was pretty neat! Definitely recommend for anyone looking for a nice horror adventure game. I say adventure rather than visual novel, because it really feels more like a text-heavy point and click than really just a visual novel with some light exploration elements. It's pretty neat, and we played it at night with only some atmospheric lights on. Neither of us is good with horror, and it set a great mood. It's not a jump-scare game (though it has few light moments), but there's some unsettling stuff in there.

Also platinum'ed Tetra's Escape recently, which I still recommend as a simple puzzler for a budget price. There's still two worlds to go (which is weird for a puzzler, but I get the trophy-hunter aimed business model) and I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Almost forgot, but finished Iconoclasts recently! Definitely a great game and 100% worth a physical purchase if you haven't gotten it yet. I'm personally a little in doubt, as budget's a little tighter now and I didn't get Bastion either, which I personally liked a little more on the Vita than Iconoclasts. Both are neat, though. What I have with Iconoclasts, though, is that I didn't even pay for it (you know, PS+), but I'll consider that more when I actually have the money.

And today I'll start Tokyo Xanadu! It's been a good Christmas vacation :D

KaiserDragon likes this.
  5. TheAtom

A bit of a double post, but there's new stuff the next day!

So I played Tokyo Xanadu yesterday, and man! That feels like a high quality game! I just finished the first dungeon (so didn't do a ton) but it looks and plays great. The combat is very fluid, and I'm surprised the Vita can handle such an awesome action-RPG dungeon crawler! Makes me a little sad about some similar games that were on the brink of breaking down with less intricate combat (I'm looking at you, Bullet Girls: Phantasia), but it's good that we got this still!

KaiserDragon likes this.
  6. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Started and plat'ed Persona 5 Dancing over the last week. A nice fun short music game. Not as good as DJMax but thanks to being based on P5 its got a solid soundtrack and character interactions. P3 Dancing is on its way to me now... I'll finally get through Salt and Sanctuary first though.

TheAtom likes this.
  7. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Started on 'Dungeon Travellers 2' a while back. I haven't been big on these 1st person dungeon crawlers, outside of Shining in the Darkness' back on the megadrive some 20+ years ago, but I had hoped that the fanservice, if nothing else, would draw me in. To be honest, I still don't enjoy these games all that much. The story and dialog is terrible, and I now find myself skipping the conversations. The gameplay isn't anything out of the ordinary, and there isn't anything particularly fun to do outside of the dungeon crawling and battling.

Currently playing the hardest difficulty of 'Bullet Girls Phantasia' now. It's a good time waster, seeing as 3rd person shooters are possibly my fav genre, and there are surprisingly few of them on the Vita.

8. shadowman

Gave the Catherine demo a shot. Love it, I was concerned about the game running not so great on the Vita but the first couple of stages ran delightfully well. Definitely a game that is well suited for handheld play so I'll be importing this next month.

9. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Dude, where is this Catherine demo that you speak of? Is it a Vita demo? If so, which region are you getting it from? Also, is the import version going to have English subtitles at the very least?

10. shadowman

The demo is on the Japan PSN store under demos. Took me a few tries to find the thing. And no, its only Japanese text/audio. No English in this one.

11. TheAtom

For anyone considering to play Tokyo Xanadu, do yourself a favour and pick hard difficulty immediately. Sadly, as opposed to my beloved DRPGs there's no increase in the rewards (item rarity/money/exp are all the same) but it's so much more fun. On normal difficulty (which I typically choose for action games) it's a pretty mindless hack and slash with only a minimum of engagement for bosses (okay, I'll admit, one was kind of tough, but only kind of). On hard difficulty the small fry is still fairly easy, though for the heftier ones you definitely need to learn their attack patterns (or well, pay attention to the enemy, it's very obvious when they're about to attack and if you pay some attention, you can avoid them the first time) but the bosses are where it's at! Already the boss in chapter 3 had me in a bind, with me being destroyed completely twice over! I had to pay some attention to what it was doing and I realized my mistake (which was pretty big), but even knowing that it wasn't too easy!

It's really interesting how playing the same game on different difficulties can give off such a different feel.

Still though, I always love boosts in rewards for higher difficulties XD

shadowman likes this.
  12. TheAtom

Another update of me, I guess.

Played and finished Burly Men at Sea, primarily on the Vita, though finished it on the PS4. The Vita version is 100% preferable as it neatly uses the touch screen, and moving the cursor on the PS4 with the touch pad. The game is with just a few hours of gameplay tops pretty darned short (even for a platinum, which is recommended anyway because that's the only way to go through all what the game has on offer), but is so good.

It's a very nicely stylized adventure game about three bearded vikings looking for adventure via a map with no route on it. The idea is that you'll have to set out on adventure, and make the map yourself. That may give off a bit of an Etrian Odyssey-like sound, but forget that, it's nothing like it. You'll be making choices, which branches off the story. Each time there's two choices, which in total makes for about 12 endings. The game is built to be replayed, which means that if you come at a crossroad you've visited before, all characters in the scene will know it's happened before, and treat the situation as such (an "Oh, you guys again?" kind of scenario). It meshes really well with the witty tone of writing, the frivolous music and beautiful minimalistic artstyle. I'm very pleasantly surprised with this game and certainly recommend it!

Another small update on Tokyo Xanadu, the story's not really managing to catch me and I think I just now finished the 4th chapter. Sometimes cliché and traditional can be fun (see Yakuza), but it needs to be done well. Sometimes cliché and traditional is more cliché and uninteresting. I notice I'm only half paying attention to most of the scenes (though I'm still following along with the story) and instead of talking to all the NPCs (which is probably the most fun the story actually has to offer, but most of the main story part is so uninteresting I want to get back to dungeon crawling as fast as I can, so I end up skipping the more fun optional parts of the story segments as well) I just rush to the objective points marked on the map. The dungeon crawling's really neat, though, which makes me not want to put the game down whatsoever, but man... With the story, I just couldn't be bothered.

13. masofdas

masofdas Active Member

I recently finished Undertale which I picked up from fangamer awhile ago and last night Planet RIX-13 which isn't that great but is cheap, on VITA and easy platinum.

Not really sure what to play next, I was hoping for YIIK but seems to be delayed on VITA.

14. TheAtom

masofdas what'd you think of Undertale? I still need to pick it up (I'll settle for a digital version I guess) and I'm kinda curious :D

And a bit more on Planet RIX-13? I saw it on the 2Old4Gaming channel on YouTube, but it looked like Alone With You but then not as interesting...

15. masofdas

masofdas Active Member

Undertale is worth playing but not something that should be hyped as it has been.

I've not played AWY but I can tell RIX is really simple, if it wasn't cheap, on VITA or have easy platinum I wouldn't have downloaded it.

16. TheAtom

Ah thanks, it's probably good to get into the game expecting not too much, and it'll be enjoyable then :D

Thanks for this as well. If you like the idea of a story-centered point and click adventure game with a much nicer pixel-style in a post apocalyptic setting (basically the same type of game, but then really good), give Alone With You a shot. It's not an easy platinum, but I got completely sucked into the story in a way I haven't in a while. Good stuff, really.

17. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Just got a copy of Bullet Girls 2. Something feels very off about this game. The aiming, no matter how much I adjust the sensitivity, doesn't feel right. Movement is jerky. Hit detection of enemies is all over the place (nothing improved with Phantasia). The character models aren't quite as pleasing to look at either (although definitely more polygons used for characters seeing as in Phantasia they had to reduce detail due to the higher enemy count hence massive slowdown). Oh, and you can't skip cutscenes. Why do we still have games where you can't skip cutscenes?

However, there's actual level design on this installment, as opposed to the bare bone arenas in the 3rd title. I'm hoping I'll warm up to it like I did Phantasia, despite its flaws.

TheAtom likes this.
  18. TheAtom

Terramax though we had opposite opinions on Phantasia, those are the reasons I didn't get into Bullet Girls before, honestly. Gameplay videos on YouTube were not very promising.

Anyway, I posted this on the discord as well (we need you there, a few of the missing people! Without Murphy allowing new people this site's future isn't too rosy), but I'll post it here too.

I've been playing Ni no kuni on the PS3 still, and my goodness what a game! This is not just a fun JRPG with awesome Ghibli animation. It also sports a fun take on the turn-based/active battle system, modernized it into a semi-action experience (which, I'll admit, takes some getting used to), and (this is a bit of a spoiler, so there's spoiler tags for a reason)
    . I am absolutely in love with the battle system in which you fluidly switch between fighting as a human or a monster with several characters that each have their own set of monsters, each monster having their own skillset, and everything happening in real time; you can't take eternities to plan anymore. This may seem intimidating, but the game builds up their gameplay step by step so that you're already a master when things get really hectic. It's like a real-time tactical RPG where positioning and strengths/weaknesses are vital, with little things allowing for a breather.

The visuals are also very impressive. Sure, we got Ghibli on the animation, but the game holds up incredibly well for being a last-gen effort and I keep forgetting I'm playing on the PS3 and not the PS4 (the easier XMB system is always a neat reminder). The story is quite all right. They did well in making it an endearing story, and the English localization (I'm talking subs only, I'm playing with Japanese voices) is really quite good.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:54 PM
  19. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I eventually really got into Phantasia after a while. Once I stopped playing RE:Revelations 2 on the switch, I was able to overlook the various problems with Phantasia and enjoy it for what it is.

That's another game I'm still playing. However, stuck on the last chapter on Ecstacy mode. I've played through the levels in the double digits, but I swear it's impossible to beat. I've changed the loadouts and costumes of the characters to get them to survive for longer, but the number of enemies thrown at you is just f-ing ridiculous.

As or Discord; I don't do all these new apps coming out these days i.e. never touched twitter, discord, instagram, etc. I use FB (barely) and forums. Too old fashioned and busy to keep up with all these new apps.

20. TheAtom

I get that, yeah. I can't say I've got your perseverance at all. The game was fun but trying to do every mission on each difficulty is it overstaying its welcome.

I get that, and I'm sure you're not alone. It's just a shame because, with not getting new members, the forum's getting pretty silent, and it'd suck for the forum conversation to die out because of that (or other reasons), and it continuing on Discord without some of you.

21. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

haha the joys of getting old hey? I haven't logged into facebook for some time now, I got a bit annoyed at a funeral advert sent to my email in relation to a private message I sent someone on facebook regarding someone dying.

I use twitter but pretty much only for Senran Kagura pics hee hee

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 6:50 PM