Official Topic What Game(s) Are You Currently Playing on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2014.

1. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Had some fun with Everybody's Golf but its beginning to annoy me, pretty much exactly around the point I thought it would. And seeing as Catherine Full Body just arrived today, I've already started that instead, because I love the gameplay on Catherine so darn much. Only on the second night so far but loving replaying it. And with Arrange mode and hard mode to tackle later, not to mention the endings, it'll be quite a while before I see all there is on this game.

Andreas Stalin and TheAtom like this.
  2. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Good to hear Catherine runs well! I want it badly but unsure, since I'd love to be able to follow the story again and my Japanese isn't quite up to snuff yet.

3. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I also posted this on the Discord, but forgot to put it here! For those that haven't made the jump yet, the Discord's pretty lively! I wish people would post more here too, but with us not being able to get new people, a lot of people seemed to have decided not to.

I finished Rabi Ribi a little while ago.

First off, the game runs well in about all the gameplay parts, and has fairly disturbing and annoying framerate drops in the VN parts (don't ask why). The visuals look pretty nice on the Vita though. The character designs all have an interesting twist, but also all feel like they're based off the same moe template. There isn't much to them in any sense of that word, which is a shame, but understandable seeing the genre of the game and the amount of characters. If you're looking for a lewd game, too, I'd look elsewhere.

The gameplay is really quite good. The action is super smooth, and though the small fry enemies don't typically pose a threat, they do come with a wide variety of attack patterns that are good to get a grip on. To compensate, there's a billion boss fights, quite a few I had to redo a few times, learning attack (and bullet) patterns to be able to beat. The boss of the final chapter I had to do some 20 times total I think, of which 3 times the game just outright crashed on me out of nowhere. No clue why. The difficulty thus is pretty nice. I played on novice myself, which is difficulty 2 out of 4 (I think?) and it was quite perfect for me. There are more difficulties though, and from seeing some youtube videos, they add a lot more to the game than modifying HP and damage parameters.

Though you don't really level, you do have equipment to help you out during your travels, and the bulk of it is pretty well hidden behind invisible pathways, random parts in the floor that open up if you drop a bomb there (sometimes the pieces will be a little inconspicuous, other times not at all). In fact, if I think about it, maybe almost half the game is hidden behind secret doors/paths. This is a little tricky if you don't feel like going through the effort of walking against every wall or dropping bombs all around just to check if there could be something there, because the the boosts you get from equipment make the difficulty a lot more manageable.

Overall I really liked the game and I'm happy I managed to get the LRG physical on my mobile phone :D

sean, shadowman and Vita_Girl like this.
  4. shadowman

Rabi Ribi is one game I got to play soon. I've got it on my pile to play (mainly because I haven't put it away yet), not sure if I'll play it next.

Meanwhile, I've been playing and replaying Catherine. Only issues I have with the game are the damn requirements for endings - basically its down to you guessing the right answers, and its not always clear. Not quite as bad as getting the best ending on Steins Gate but its close sometimes. I'm now aiming to get Rin's ending(s) as you get a brand new 10th level (ok, that's my main interest) so I can't wait to finally see what its like. Definitely well worth an import if your mainly going for the gameplay and not the story, its so perfect on the Vita, I really don't see any performance issues with the game, bar maybe an odd issue with camera angles being too zoomed out in one or two boss encounters.

TheAtom likes this.
  5. shadowman

Finished Catherine (Rin ending). Its great, definitely worth slogging through the requirements, the brand new levels are fantastic.

Now working on Rabi Ribi, which, silly story aside is really fun. Decent combat, great bosses and a nice soundtrack. I see myself really enjoying it. Also playing DJMax Portable 2 on the PSP which, like any other DJMax game is fantastic. Pity we only got one game on the Vita (though it may be my favourite) while the PSP got 5 of them. Oh well, just more to play on my PSP I suppose!

sean, TheAtom and Terramax like this.
  6. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I have thought about picking up Catherine, but my kanji understanding is still quite basic. Is it easy to read/understand? Is it worth the price tag?

Meanwhile, I've been beavering away at Dream Club Zero, with a bit of Everybody's Golf. I hadn't played this game for a few months but, as I always do, came crawling back to it.

7. shadowman

Still working on Rabi Ribi. Beaten a fair few bosses now and am still really enjoying it (again, bar the story). Bosses only get better the more you play. Trophy list is a nightmare though, so won't be focusing on that, but I'll be doing post game bosses at least. Excellent stuff :)

Also, thanks to my laziness I'm working on both Super Destronaut DX and I am the Hero. Because they are just the two that I have right in front of me, rather than the games I were planning to play next (I want to get back to the launch games eventually).

Super Destronaut DX is a Space Invaders clone and a fun one at that. Super easy trophy list that you can plat in an hour or so if you care about that. Its actually a bit annoying that its so easy, as the actual challenge comes from the late game challenges as its actually challenging, unlike the stuff you'll steamroll through on your first try. A fun couple of hours but honestly Space Invaders Infinity Gene is way, way better.

I am the Hero is a really cool brawler that feels most like Devil May Cry in 2D, or Guacamelee in terms of how the combat works - linking lots of attacks together and crazy air combos. Frame rate could have been better (nowhere near smooth enough) but I'm loving what I play so far, so very happy with that purchase.

Oh, an I'm also working on getting the last couple of trophies on Bloodstained, which is brilliant. Already done it all on the Switch, so I'll do it again on the Vita for the fun of it.

TheAtom likes this.
  8. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Well, after a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG hiatus, I've started playing Shinobido 2 again. Really enjoying this, and kinda regretting deleting my old channel with a whole bunch of Shinobido 1,2 and PSP videos that I spent ages editing and uploading.

Started playing the game as I was watching footage of Sekiro (which I've just ordered) and the grappling hook mechanics is ripped straight out of Shinobido. The fast paced action is also similar.

9. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

Surprisely I'm STILL playing Trails 1 however I'm nearing the end of my 1st playthrough over 330 play time so far only because I'm going for the platinum and grinding like crazy! It's getting MECH-ing fun! Well worth the wait!

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    zodaex and Terramax like this.
  10. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Is this that 2D motorbike game?

lesdennis likes this.
  11. Roscoe Jones

Trails of Cold Steel, it's a jrpg! One of the best under rated rpg out there!!

Demorates likes this.
  12. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Seriously?..

lesdennis likes this.
  13. Demorates

Demorates Active Member

Still in Act 1 of Trails of Cold Steel 2... after 37 hours... this game will eat my lifetime.

zodaex likes this.
  14. Roscoe Jones

EXACTLY!

15. Lando452

Lando452 Well-Known Member

Just started playing Muramasa rebirth, awesome game

shadowman and zodaex like this.