Official Topic What Game(s) Are You Currently Playing on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2014.

1. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Danganronpa. Finally started playing this game after having it for so long and its amazing. The story, characters and especially Monokuma who somehow has managed to be far more evil in the first two hours than pretty much every other game villain I've encountered this past year. Can't wait to play more...

2. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

It's a cracker - I wish I could play through it again, not knowing how it pans out...

3. Flying_Pig

Jak II has now been binned - I think I'm about half way through, but it's been a long painful slog through ridiculously hard missions and apparently it only gets worse. The game itself isn't that hard as such, but the controls, camera and (lack of) checkpoints make it more so.

It's a real shame as I enjoyed re-playing The Precursor Legacy and have completed Jak 3 on the PS2 some years back, so was hoping to complete the trilogy, but Jak 2 has been so awful I just can't face another week or so of it.

So I'll play a bit more of the brilliant Ultratron, although I'm finding it tougher than Titan Attacks and can't get past lvl 35. I've gone back to lvl 11 to see if I can improve the upgrades for my robot.

But I need a palate-cleanser to get rid of the bad taste that Jak 2's left - something simple, short and fun - any thoughts on whether Proteus, Doki Doki Universe or Dokuro would fit the bill?

4. shadowman

Dokuro's amazing. Its a awesome 2D puzzle/platformer that reminds me sorta like Lemmings/Sleep Walker for the Amiga at points since you are solving puzzles and guiding the princess through dangerous levels. Only complaint is the box puzzles at the end of the game. I hate hard box puzzles... But that is just a minor blemish on an amazing game.

Proteus is interesting as well, but its more of an "experience" that a game. I'm still not sure what you actually do.

5. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Just started playing LittleBigPlanet for the first time so I thought, but save data already existed. And I have no memory of playing it. Old age...:(

6. Olwe

Olwe New Member

I'm playing Gravity rush to unlock Platinum and I'm still progressing in P4G.

7. Flying_Pig

Well, Proteus is meant to be really short, so I might just blast through it, and then give Dokuro a go :)

8. NiccalsNefarious

NiccalsNefarious Active Member

I've played a bit of Hohokum but I haven't fully understood what's going on. Still, visually looks great and the music is pretty good as well.

Velocity 2X
    and Guacamelee

9. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Active Member

Loaded up my copy of Oreshika, and I'm in love with the artstyle

10. mvrizu

mvrizu Member

Thanks guys, I already have Guacamelee and I'm actually close to getting the platinum in Velocity 2X (love this game!).

I will give the others a look shadowman.

11. Chamosial

Chamosial New Member

I'm playing too much right now xD

Still working through P4G, completing Spyro 3, completing Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time and then I have Gravity Rush, Oreshika and SAO to play. I think I'll be busy the next few months :p

TEKTORO likes this.
  12. Flying_Pig

Didn't get around to trying Proteus over the weekend, but did start Dokuro this morning. Really liking it so far - beautiful hand drawn 2D platforming with some pretty simple (so far) puzzles for good measure.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting back on the train home tonight so I can play some more :)

13. Yaster

Yaster Well-Known Member

14. DuhWhitePanda

DuhWhitePanda Well-Known Member

Tokyo Twilight

The combat is horrible. I'd totally by DLC to skip the battle and just select dialog option.

15. MrLava

MrLava Member

I have been really enjoying mxgp . Really good game. enjoying it much more then moto gp.
    Got all the offline trophies other then the stupid 1 million fan trophy.
    The online is dead is impossible for the online trophies .
    One guy quit halfway and another guy has basic physics on his bike I have medium, main aim was to take me out and not race.

16. shadowman

Completed the first case in Danganrompa. Bloody amazing, its like an even more dark and twisted Phoenix Wright (another series I dearly love). I also really like the trial mechanics the game uses, makes the trials really fun. The soundtrack is also incredibly good.

17. Flying_Pig

Enjoy. It gets better :)

18. TEKTORO

TEKTORO Well-Known Member

It's definitely a tough battle system with no explanation at all and agree it comes off as horrible but in its defense the concept is actually brilliant just wasn't explained or executed well. Think about it if your encountering supernatural chances are you will stumble upon it randomly or by chance, so that's why it's frustrating in this game because there is a lot of assumption where to move for this to happen. Otherwise it's a cool title with interesting plot, a good horror/suspense Vita title for around Halloween just not for everyone. I can still recommended it to hardcore Vita fans or someone looking for a dark story.

19. shadowman

I will enjoy it, in fact I've not enjoyed a game (story) this much in a long time.

20. Brenten

Brenten Member

Got my Vita at the beginning of the month (b-day) and have been mostly playing my backlog from PS Plus IGC, plus a few titles I bought during Golden Week:

- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (intense)
    - Freedom Wars (pretty cool... too much grinding to upgrade weapons... CODE 7 exam was *tough*)
    - Kenko Bancho: Badass Rumble (hilarious)
    - Dragon's Crown (very polished)
    - Gravity Rush (original... engaging so far but it's still early)
    - Hotline Miami (guilty pleasure - seems better suited to the Vita than the PS3, which is where I had played it previously)
    - Conception II - (not too great... maybe it'll improve as the story progresses)
    - Remote Play on PS4 (Not a game, but my comment is that it works well... lag can be a problem, maybe because my room is 2 floors away from the PS4)

21. TEKTORO

Brenten
    Yes another Vita owner to our legion!
    Welcome and nice Yakuza avatar, you have good taste in games. :)
    Remote play can be tricky with all the variables, see if it improves when closer to the pS4.

Happy belated Bday, what made you grab the Vita?

22. Brenten

Brenten Member

Thanks a lot, Tektoro.

Love me some Yakuza :) Finished 3 (took a while playing on and off... epic game worth enjoying in full) and was days away from driving across town to buy the last local copy of Yakuza 4 when it suddenly dropped into the PS Plus "freebies" roster. I'm savouring that one slowly, too. They're awesome games unlike any other. Would love to play a Yakuza game on Vita...

Why Vita?

So why did I buy a Vita? I've been coveting one for a while... it seemed a shame to not take the plunge when I'd become convinced how undervalued a platform it is. So, I saved up gift certs and pocket money and got enough together for it to be a reasonable purchase in time for my birthday. I came in fully aware of the poor press/nonexistent buzz, but over the years, I've often taken on fringe/unique platforms e.g. TurboGrafx-16, Amiga, Atari ST... with few regrets.

Also, I've been accumulating "free" PS Plus games for a couple of years now and they've served to lower the overall cost of getting a Vita while also having games to play on it. On top of that, I was quite curious as to the potential of remote play (I'll take your advice on that to heart).

Negatives?

The main negatives are the cost of memory cards and the dearth of physical releases in my price range in local stores. (I'm a bargain bin gamer). One small inconvenience is getting used to the controls since they feel a little cramped for my (not particularly large) hands. (I had no idea the buttons would click when you press them. Definite disincentive to play in bed if not sleeping alone.) Other than that, it's been a lot of fun. I've barely touched the PS3 or PS4 since. So many Vita titles to catch up on.

Coming Home

I grew up playing Japanese games (first console I owned was a TurboGrafx-16)... We played hours and hours of Ys 1 & 2, Castlevania, Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer (old school Atlus), etc. also Final Fantasy on original GameBoy and Secret of Mana...so for all the AAA titles I've played over the years, I'd be what's considered an old school gamer who's comfortable across the spectrum from nice JRPGs to shmups, FPS, RTS, aracade games, etc.

The variety of games I've seen coming down the pipe on Vita (though usually Japanese) really fit with what I was weaned on. (Also, as a professional developer who makes games/apps on the side, it's exactly the type of platform I'd love to develop against.)

I' glad to join the legion... it feels kind of like a homecoming. I definitely appreciate the welcome.

Teelord

TEKTORO likes this.
  23. TEKTORO

Whoa Epic!

You should fit in well, Xseed has Ys, there's some TG-16 games on PSN and maybe seek out the handle grip by PDP it makes it feel more like a controller and is pretty comfy. Memory cards are a pain but Sony has great flash sales to compensate, so even if you don't plan on downloading much I still recommend the bigger the better (32gb & up).

24. samus1818

samus1818 Active Member

I'm currently playing Freedom Wars. Interesting game, I thought I wasn't going to like it, but I think it's alright. Good game at a fair price :)

25. Brenten

Brenten Member

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect from Freedom Wars, but when Sony said "no more 1st party AAA titles", I would have thought that something like FW would have been off the table. Given how cheap it is so close after release (i.e. $20), I can't help but think that Sony might have lost a good deal of money on it... I sure hope not. It's a fun game and a sequel tweaking the little niggles could be a very good game.