Official Topic What Game(s) Are You Currently Playing on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2014.

1. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Yeah, performance is terrible. If I replay it I'll probably just play the PS4 version which should be a solid 30FPS at least. You missed how its sub native res as well, I mean, Amazing Spiderman on the Vita has issues in the open world segments and even that runs "better"!

Uncharted rocks, I really enjoyed that game when I replayed it recently, the gyro aiming is fantastic and really helps line up headshots with ease.

Anyway, I'm still working my way through Steins Gate. Nothing much more to add, the story continues to be amazing and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

2. Nicola

Nicola Member

My Vita is currently with my brother (we live in different countries). I will get it back in April with Steins:Gate Zero already purchased waiting to be played. I found out today that I will need to get all the endings by May-2 as Caligula is finally hitting the store! :) After that I'll be waiting for Danganranpa V3, I have a bit of a back log on the Vita, but I have been giving some thought to re-playing P4G...

Adam Anouer and shadowman like this.
  3. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Nicola Buy another :)

I've just start Shiren the Wanderer but I'm afraid I got my hopes up. When I hear of games I have a quick look into them but I don't watch gameplay or dig too deep as I like to be surprised. I thought this was going to be the Vitas Zelda. Started off great until I got into dungeons where it suddenly goes turn based. Sigh. So many convoluted ways to even move. I really don't have the patience for turn based stuff. I'm pretty gutted really.

zodaex likes this.
  4. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered. I love word games so this is proving to be quite enjoyable at the moment.

5. MantonX2

MantonX2 Active Member

Playing "Aegis of Earth". Picked this up because I found it at a great price but reading some reviews I didn't have much hope for it. After playing for a week or so, really digging this game; especially as a game to play on the go. Liking the strategy aspect of planning out and building up your city defenses. Pretty cool when your strategies come together to the point your city almost defends itself without you having to do much. And I like that the battles are short enough to be played most places (like sitting in a waiting room or waiting for your food order) without having to pause in the middle.

Will see how it holds up as I keep progressing. So far, all the additional R&D weapons and defenses with the escalating enemies have kept it from feeling like a grind .. hoping it keeps that up.

[​IMG]

DojoDan and zodaex like this.
  6. Adam Anouer

Adam Anouer Well-Known Member

I started playing all 3 games Watchmojo listed in their top 10 worst handheld ports of all time and well...

Minecraft - They cited this game suffered major frame rate drops and a save glitch that made the game borderline unplayable. Based on my own experience with the game that save glitch I'm guessing was patched almost immediately and as for frame rate performance the only times I noticed any real dropped frames were when I was exploring "The End" and I would suspect this is largely thanks to the Enderman and Ender Dragon boss fights which were both infrequent and short (the frame drops). I will say though I'm not a big fan of how this game tries to incorperate Alchemy I find it's much better implemented in Dragon Quest Builders where unlocking items, armour and weapons contribute towards 100% completion and the art of finding ingredients it's something of it's own challenge.

Borderlands 2: This game has a terrible buggy launch where frame rates drops were absurdly frequent and as of 8 updates it now plays much better but it's not exactly a smooth ride. This game was always an ambitious port as open world games such as the scale of Borderlands require a lot from the CPU and I'm actually surprised Sony didn't allow developers to at least overclock the CPU even by the slight amount it would've needed to make this game run at 30 FPS. As it stands the average frame rate is 25 FPS.

Jak I, II and III: This game is a very similar situation to Borderlands 2 in that Jak III has some extremely expansive world design and without any question a CPU boost would've done these games especially II and III the world of good. As it goes the first game is somewhat stable where as the other 2 especially Jak III really struggles to maintain a high level of performance even at 30 FPS.

Looking at these games I really do feel sorry for some of these developers because given the fact Sony completely locked them out of any CPU adjustments most of these games had to be optimised through very strict means such as using the V-ram or playing at sub-native resolutions. Some companies such as Guerilla did an amazing job with their own game engine but this system was heavily nailed by Sony's own negligence.

DojoDan likes this.
  7. Adam Anouer

I've started playing 2 more games now all from the PS Classics collection and they all share a certain theme..an indiscriminate hatred of pigs.

Hogs Of War
    Have you ever played Worms? Have you ever played Worms 3D? Have you ever wondered what Worms 3D would be if you instead played as a group of interracial pigs and the type of humour from Conkers Bad Fur Day? Good, then you'll be able to dive right into Hogs of War. The aim of the game is very simple, blow up as many enemies as you can with as many extremely over the top weapons as possible varying between Pistols, Rifles, Bazooka's, Rocket Launchers, TNT, Cluster Bombs, Shotguns, Flamethrowers and many, many more. This game has always been one I absolutely adore and that's primarily because of how many memories you can get from it often times by doing things by complete accident. The controls are somewhat outdated (has analog support but D-pad suits this one much better) but the games absolute golden star goes to it's wonderfully charismatic voice acting which really gives this game a personality of it's own. In the US it only costs $5.99 on the PSN but the UK doesn't have it =(

Tomba
    Have you ever played Rayman? Have you ever wondered what Rayman would be like if instead of simple platforming and saving electoons the game slapped you around the head with quirky side quests and...wrestling pigs? Good then you'll have a fair idea of what Tomba has in-store. The game is unlike any other platformer out there in that platforming is only half the challenge, what sets Tomba apart is that if you want to proceed you've got to figure things out, find which items you need, figure out how to navigate the map and find secrets and complete side-quests which is extremely uncommon in 2D platformers. The game is wonderfully weird and wacky and thanks to the PSN very cheap I highly recommend it to those who love platformers with real personality (and those like taking shrooms). This one is $9.99 and thankfully is available on the UK PSN

8. shadowman

18 hours later and I've finally got 1 of 6 endings for Steins Gate. Very good, got very dark toward the end of the story as well (and was handled really well), can't wait to see what the next 5 endings are like...

Adam Anouer likes this.
  9. Adam Anouer

:) Glad you enjoyed it my friend. If you liked the Original I think you'll love Steins Gate 0. See you did the smart thing and played the game before watching the anime and I... I didn't do that I was dumb, completely spoiled the whole story.

shadowman likes this.
  10. shadowman

Yeah, I'll be playing 0 soon, once I'm done with the other endings I'm working on a couple of shorter Vita games, then coming back and playing 0 as I've enjoyed the characters and story so much in this one. Definitely well written.

11. Adam Anouer

I'm glad to hear you like it buddy I adore the characters in the story especially Mirai so here's hoping for a happy ending.

12. shadowman

Its a pity that Time Travellers never ended up getting translated. Its not on the same level as Steins Gate in terms of characters or story but I felt it was still darn good. Its still a great time travelling story that I'm glad got a Youtube fan translation so I could at least do a playthrough while watching the translations.

13. Miah

Miah Well-Known Member

Finally got off my ass & bought Steamworld Dig this weekend. Had it forever on Steam & never could get into it, surprised how quickly I took to it as a mobile title instead of a desktop game.

14. Nicola

Nicola Member

That happens a lot to me too (Limbo comes to mind), I think portable is particularly suited for indies

Adam Anouer likes this.
  15. Adam Anouer

Agreed. It's can be a little heavy getting into a huge open immersive adventure but Indie Games tend to have really good pace and pick up you can play style gameplay which really makes it easy to dive in and out of. Or platformers :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  16. eric

eric Well-Known Member

Darkest Dungeon drove me mad. I played this game for about 2-4 hrs per day for the past 3 months. It is a tough game, tons of grinding with little reward. Its addictive as hell, but found that I was dedicating way too much time to this one w/ little payout. I have plenty of other games I want to play, got so pissed at DDungeon that I deleted it from my Vita. If I see the game icon i'll click and get sucked in again.

...been spending my time playing Asphalt Injection and Swapper. Swapper is stunning!!!

VINNIE GANESH likes this.
  17. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Finished (well, beat the end boss) of Letter Quest Remastered. Haven't completed all quests & not really sure if I'll ever return to it.

18. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Shantae Half Genie Hero stole my soul, what an awesome game on the Vita :)

19. eric

eric Well-Known Member

Nice!

20. shadowman

Limbo was such an addictive game for the Vita. I spent a whole day learning it back to front just to do the "clear the game in less than 5 deaths" trophy (in the end I only died twice!).

Anyway, one ending down on Steins Gate (a pretty dark ending actually), now working on the rest of the endings and trophies which is thankfully pretty easy thanks to the guide I'm using (plus I'm seeing all the alternate dialogue choices I missed the first time around).

21. Nicola

Nicola Member

I had to restart Steins;Gate from chapter 4 after getting one of the bad ending (Faris). I think in order to really appreciate what the game has to offer you need to reach the Kurisu ending and the true ending. Steins;Gate has one of the best stories, if not the best, I have ever experienced in a game/anime.

shadowman likes this.
  22. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I'm working my way through Chapter 4 of Dragon Quest Builders, and although I'm enjoying it, I'll be glad when it's over so I can move onto something else....

23. eric

eric Well-Known Member

I too have overlooked a lot of games due to poor reviews. I've now been giving several a second look. Some of those that got poor reviews may appeal to you, I know I've found several I am thoroughly enjoying.

24. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

Finally finished VVVVV , some levels really really did my head in but the blimming game has that try one more time feeling , so 800 lives later !!! :)

25. shadowman

Yeah, I just hit that ending as well. Its a fairly bittersweet ending, really well done. But I get how the structures of the endings work now so I'm on my way to the next ending. I have half an idea how the best ending might turn out, but I'm not sure yet. Either way, I'm really loving the story, its really clever and very engrossing!

With some cheeky PS+ save trickery and a lot of patience I managed to do the less to 50 deaths run, but I'll be darned if I try to do the 1 life run, that's something that only the best of the best could do! And to think the time trial trophies are even harder still! Amazing game though, love the soundtrack.