What other hobbies do you have and do you collect anything else?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by DojoDan, Jan 5, 2019.

1. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I often ask people this more really to make conversation but I just wondered if anyone has other hobbies or collect anything outside of gaming?

I try to attend car meets and shows with other owners and plan to do more on that line this year.

Im also trying to get back into a childhood tradition of buying a penknife while on holiday if I come across shops in that line. I use to have a small collection as a kid but I've lost most but I bought another not long ago and it feels good to start that again. It was £28 but it'll replace my current that I use to open parcels. Others are cheaper and even keyring ones so it's only a cheap hobby. I don't carry any BTW.

I also buy any old 60s to 80s coding or computer books I come across

I also read science fiction a lot, from 60s onwards.

And finally I go archery twice a week.

Oh and I got to get into hobby grade RC this year. Would be nice to get out with a couple of cars with my Niece.

So what about you lot?

zodaex and ninty72 like this.
  2. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

Women !! :D hehe , okay maybe not , but this one is going to put my macho image to shame ....what do you all mean I didn't have one to start with !! :p

For me , Disney Snowglobes ( Yeah, I know ) , was given one as a present from an ex girlfriend one Xmas many moons ago and its built up from there ....:oops:

another one I have is proper flick through your fingers none of this digital kindle internet malarkey books , Mysterious of the world , sea, space Egypt, Atlantis you name it I probably have a book on it. :)

Nothing beats chilling out with a cup of tea a couple of custard creams on your own reading for me :)

zodaex and DojoDan like this.
  3. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

ninty72 I'm with you on a good cuppa and a good book. Altho your books sound a bit too educational for me heh, my main excuse is escapism really. And don't be embarrassed! Collections can start from anywhere sometimes. I bought a Coalport Snowman globe for my sister from work a few years back it's badass.

4. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I used to collect stamps.

zodaex likes this.
  5. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I don't really collect much, same with Vita, it's really more that I like to safeguard the possibility to play them later. Me and my wife also buy manga and figurines. Now, the figurines we get count more as a collection, because there's really not much else to them.

As for the manga, and even just some other novels, non-fiction journalistic books, it's really all the exact same as with buying the Vita games. We buy them because we want to use them. There's always the question of why we don't buy digitally, and that's mostly my decision. For me, buying digitally just doesn't have that same feeling. Holding a physical product in your hand, it's really just the tactical feels that matter. If I buy a game digitally it feels like all that happened is that the number on my account went down (which obviously means I spent money, but even that it doesn't feel like, which is pretty dangerous xD). Ebooks are similar, really. I have some ebooks, and then in particular books I don't really care much for, but that may just be great escapism (check out Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-hit Multi-target Attacks?), which has more to do with limited closet space than anything else.

Qua hobbies I also make music digitally, write lyrics and record the bunch. I'm not much good, and I don't throw a lot of it online, but it's a nice outlet. :D

sean, zodaex and DojoDan like this.
  6. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Well-Known Member

I have way too many board games. I also paint miniatures for war games and build/paint plastic models. Mostly Kotobukiya kits but also some Bandai Gundam.

zodaex, sean and DojoDan like this.
  7. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

I collect Senran Kagura, nuff said!

zodaex, sean, DojoDan and 1 other person like this.
  8. sean

sean Well-Known Member

Other hobbies I guess disc golf when weathers nice and playing in the workshop.

I collect books. Manga, graphic novels, fantasy.

Cheap used books on japan, learning japanese, computer languages and programs.

Anything with art, tool, building.

zodaex and DojoDan like this.
  9. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Don’t do much other than work unfortunately but I will get back into football after quitting last year because I was too busy. Done kickboxing for years and was off and on a bit of boxing. The football is 3 nights a week though so not much time to even play games as such, although I did ditch it once to play the Witcher 3

DojoDan likes this.
  10. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

For years I used to collect Kamen Rider and Ultraman DVDs, VCDs and Blu-Rays from around the world, but eventually had to call it quits on that because I turned over to collecting Vita games and it's been taking up my expendable income ever since. :eek: I have still managed to keep up with the releases that have English language options on them though. :)

Building silent PCs is another hobby of mine. This weekend i'm putting together a premium $1,000 dollar rig for a friend of mine that will be very high end, but also inaudible. It should be lots of fun, I haven't built an all-new PC in over 5 years. It'll be fun to see how well it runs stuff like GTAV, Dying Light and Killing Floor on the latest hardware.

Also a big animal lover. I've got 3 kitties at the moment (landlord says I can't have anymore), but one day i'm going to get a dog for sure. And if I work hard for it maybe a chicken, goat and a rooster too one day. (that's the dream)

Retro gaming is another one of my passions too. I've got a big soft spot for N64, SNES, NES, GB/GBC, NDS, Genesis and 3DO games. I've always got to periodically return to the classics as lots of them are timeless for me.

I also quite fancy fresh hot peppers and hot sauce. I seldom consume anything that isn't doused in hot sauce or garnished with peppers of some form or another. Got to be careful with that though because it's so easy for me to over-do it and get intestinal pain from too much heat. :confused::eek:

DojoDan and sean like this.
  11. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

Have quite a few of those that have been accumulating as well.

Yeah, I was into collecting those back in the early to mid-90's.

Actively Collecting
    - Video games and related, systems, books, magazines, and accessories. If it's gaming I've probably got one or more of it somewhere about.
    - Anime DVDs, also have some VHSs and the odd Blu-Ray release as well, but the focus is on DVDs. Had gone inactive on this, but new anime DVD releases are beginning to dry up and so many people have been dumping their collections in favor of going all digital that there has been no end to the deals to be found even at a local level.

Inactively Collecting
    - All things Phantasy Star Online. Literally PS Vita has consumed the budget for this and then some. Planning to jump right back into PSO collecting once the R1 Vita releases have ceased.
    - Arcade tokens, have a pretty nice collection of these going, but unless you're willing to buy massive lots on Ebay they've become the sort of thing you rarely ever come across in the wild anymore. All of mine have been found or bought in the wild though.

Ceased Collecting:
    Star Trek: CCG, Pokemon: TCG, Baseball cards, rocks, coins (currency), Lego sets, and pre-1990 calculators.

Would Collect if I was Filthy Rich:
    Mercedes-Benz Cars

sean and DojoDan like this.