What phone does the ps vita compare to?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by ozm8ey, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ozm8ey

ozm8ey Member

Probably a silly question but what mobile phone would the ps vita compete to? (hardware performance) I have tried looking via google search but didn't really find anything.

2. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

First you can't really compare the Vita to a phone because the hardware is different, it's like saying a Snapdragon 801 that runs at 2,5ghz is better than a notebook i5 running at 2ghz, offcourse the i5 is better but a 1 on 1 comparsion is difficult.

Second, most smartphones run Android which is an unoptimized system (really Google should fix that) while the Vita uses a custom OS based on FreeBSD.

But there is a device that has almost the same CPU and GPU as the Vita and that is the iPad 2, however while the CPU and GPU of the iPad are both dual-core the ones in the Vita are lower clocked quad-cores.

Vita CPU is a 333mhz quad-core with a maximum clock speed of 444mhz, games can use that clockspeed if a dev implements it in a game to utilize it (but then the Vita can't use Wifi in that mode).

GPU is a 111mhz (some say 133mhz) quad-core with 128mb of vram.

Ad offcourse the Vita has 512mb ram.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    DankZaku, zodaex, sean and 2 others like this.
  3. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

And that was Vita_Girl , our local host with Tech news, now to you Ted, for the weather.

No, but really, interesting stuff!

I have noticed the 'no wifi' thing indeed with certain games. There is another option that I assume is similar, that doesn't allow you to open anything else, even the settings.

These comparisons of dedicated gaming systems and general computing devices (smartphones, PCs or laptops) is both the OS and its its intended use.

The PS3, iirc, only had 512mb RAM. No way in hell a PC with that could run 720p games, but the PS3 does so effortlessly. I don't know the thick of it, but a lot has to do with the lack of Windows background processes etc.

DankZaku and sean like this.
  4. Vita_Girl

Even better the PS3 has just 256mb ram.

That extended mode on the Vita is something Sony made possible with a update few years ago, before that the 512mb of ram was split into 256mb for games and 256mb for the OS.

After that update came out the OS got less ram available and the games more, but only if a developer implemented it in the game.

The issue with it is that when a game uses that extra ram, you can't start some or all other apps without closing the game which is very annoying.

sean and TheAtom like this.
  5. TheAtom

I thought it was that, but it seemed too little to me, so I upped it a little... That's barely two decent quality music albums!! How did they ever load big open world games like GTA onto that? It's really incredible!

Oh yeah, super annoying. Especially because a lot of developers just use it as an excuse for bad coding. I mean, Root Letter uses that and STILL has noticeable slowdowns and crashes, amd gameplaywise it's a VANILLA VN! Weird shit if you ask me...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  6. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

There is a phone with similar specs to the PS Vita, also developed by Sony which also launched before the Vita, the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800 series cellular telephone.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play

Effectively one can look at this and see where its' designers effectively took the aesthetic of the PSP G0 and blended it with some of the hardware tech that was going to be in the then only recently announced Sony NGP (Next Generation Portable, aka Vita) and proceeded to do what Sony often does a bang up job at, messing up stupendously. So the phone has a decent processor, loads of RAM, and a controller interface with more than enough buttons to meet PSP fan needs. What it lacks is compatibility with PSN and the library of digital games that were available for the PSP, including the PS1 classic titles. So it's a Sony cell phone touted as offering a PlayStation gaming experience, that actually can't deliver a real PS gaming experience. It was stupid product choices like this one that ultimately caused Sony to go into bankruptcy back in 2015 and nearly put them out of business.

7. Vita_Girl

No it's not the same.

Were iPad 3 has the same CPU and GPU like the Vita, Xperia Play is a very different device specs wise.

Aside that Android is a heavier OS than Vita it's OS, both to have 512mb of ram but the rest is different.

Xperia Play:

- 1Ghz single core CPU
    - Adreno 205 GPU
    - 480 x 854 resolution LCD

PS Vita:

- 333mhz (with a 444mhz mode) quad-core CPU
    - SGX543MP4+ GPU
    - 960 x 544 resolution OLED (1000) LCD (2000)

These are just the 3 main differences, Vita is on paper better than Xperia Play even while the CPU runs slower (otherwise a 3ghz P4 would be faster than a 2.7ghz i5, faster doesn't always mean better/more powerful).

Not to mention PS Vita and it's OS are optimized for gaming, same goes for the games while Android was never meant to run games in first place, even the never versions.

The closest to the Vita specs wise would still be the iPad 3.

P.S. in earlier post I made a mistake were I said the iPad 2 has the same GPU as the Vita, this was a mistake because that GPU is weaker and the GPU in iPad 3 is more similar to the one in the Vita, aside from it's clockspeed.

TheAtom likes this.
  8. TheAtom

That's interesting again!! My curreny phone has a WAY better CPU, but due to it being android, it cannot even play remotely similar quality games to a Vita.

The importance of the design of an OS is incredibly interesting, and something that only very indirectly we as end users notice, and even then mostly the user-friendliness of the interface, not how well it can do one thing or another.

9. Vita_Girl

Indeed and that is why it's easier to compare a PS4 to let's say a Nintendo Switch than a smartphone to a PS4 for example, gaming consoles and games on them are optimised for 1 task while a Android phone isn't.

Same goes for iPhone vs Android, a lot of games run better on iPhone/iPad and look better on them than on Android, this because there are less devices running iOS to optimise a game for were on Android there are thousands of devices.

And the same goes for gaming consoles, you optimise a game per system.

10. Fanny Magnet

Fanny Magnet Sex God!

It's just a sad desperate attempt to start a new thread on General Discussion section isn't it really?. What next a 'Is your Vita bigger than your pecker' thread or something like that in a last ditch attempt to post something Vita related on the General Discussion section.

11. TheAtom

Lemme see if I get the android vs ios thing right (sorry, but despite having no knowledge in thi area, it really interests me xD): the reason why games work better on iOS than on Android (even if the android phone has better raw specs?) is because of the wide variety in Android phones, so that a game can't be optimized for all those different setups?

Oh, and a follow-up question! The same goes for the PC then, right? Is that then another reason why, specs-wise, you need monstrous PC's to play games beautifully compared to some consoles' power.

I also read somewhere, I thought, that PS4 and XB1 use a Linux-like OS that is also meant to do more in the background than just run games (with its cits communities, downloads, messaging, Spotify music app, share button, browser, most of which can be switched to while the other is still in some way loaded up). Does this also cause the consoles to be a lot weightier specs-wise?

Sorry again for all the questions xD

12. ozm8ey

ozm8ey Member

There is always one of you in every group :)

TheAtom, DankZaku and AllHasRed like this.
  13. Fanny Magnet

Fanny Magnet Sex God!

Certainly is, although wouldn't call this a group, more a menage a trois. The Beatles have got more surviving members than this place.

14. Fanny Magnet

Fanny Magnet Sex God!

All's you've got to remember is Android is a pile of shit!, IOS rocks!. I'm on the dole and choose the vastly expensive IOS of the Iphone 6 Plus because Android is shit!.

What the Playstation 4 and every other console has under the bonnet in terms of operating system makes no difference, they're game systems, me and my phone has a relationship that even God couldn't comprehend!, I sleep with my phone.

15. Vita_Girl

There are less iPhones than Android phones and iPhones also run at lower resolution, so yes optimising a game for a iOS device is easier.

PC is a different story, for how underpowered PS4 and Xbox One are pushing them to their limits is easier because their hardware is the same (in other words all PS4's use same hardware while PC's don't).

But PC games aren't really that heavy nowdays, a GTX 1060 or 960 is still enough and these are already few years old midrangers that can produce better graphics than most console games (especially the 1060).

Optimizing for PC works very different than for something like android from what I know (different hardware) and updating hardware drivers is a possibility on PC, while on android you should be happy if you get any updates at all regarding that.

PC is not comparable to smartphones, but you can compare it to PS4 and XBO because in essence both use modified PC hardware (from AMD to be precise).

Current midrange PC's are better than those 2 consoles, but a PC with same hardware like PS4 and XBO wouldn't be able to push the same graphics without optimisations, however again PC games aren't really that heavy nowdays if you want a 1080p console experience.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  16. TheAtom

Thanks for the info!! :D