What phone does the ps vita compare to?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by ozm8ey, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ozm8ey

ozm8ey Member

Probably a silly question but what mobile phone would the ps vita compete to? (hardware performance) I have tried looking via google search but didn't really find anything.

2. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

First you can't really compare the Vita to a phone because the hardware is different, it's like saying a Snapdragon 801 that runs at 2,5ghz is better than a notebook i5 running at 2ghz, offcourse the i5 is better but a 1 on 1 comparsion is difficult.

Second, most smartphones run Android which is an unoptimized system (really Google should fix that) while the Vita uses a custom OS based on FreeBSD.

But there is a device that has almost the same CPU and GPU as the Vita and that is the iPad 2, however while the CPU and GPU of the iPad are both dual-core the ones in the Vita are lower clocked quad-cores.

Vita CPU is a 333mhz quad-core with a maximum clock speed of 444mhz, games can use that clockspeed if a dev implements it in a game to utilize it (but then the Vita can't use Wifi in that mode).

GPU is a 111mhz (some say 133mhz) quad-core with 128mb of vram.

Ad offcourse the Vita has 512mb ram.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    sean, TheAtom and ozm8ey like this.
  3. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

And that was Vita_Girl , our local host with Tech news, now to you Ted, for the weather.

No, but really, interesting stuff!

I have noticed the 'no wifi' thing indeed with certain games. There is another option that I assume is similar, that doesn't allow you to open anything else, even the settings.

These comparisons of dedicated gaming systems and general computing devices (smartphones, PCs or laptops) is both the OS and its its intended use.

The PS3, iirc, only had 512mb RAM. No way in hell a PC with that could run 720p games, but the PS3 does so effortlessly. I don't know the thick of it, but a lot has to do with the lack of Windows background processes etc.

sean likes this.
  4. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Even better the PS3 has just 256mb ram.

That extended mode on the Vita is something Sony made possible with a update few years ago, before that the 512mb of ram was split into 256mb for games and 256mb for the OS.

After that update came out the OS got less ram available and the games more, but only if a developer implemented it in the game.

The issue with it is that when a game uses that extra ram, you can't start some or all other apps without closing the game which is very annoying.

sean and TheAtom like this.
  5. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I thought it was that, but it seemed too little to me, so I upped it a little... That's barely two decent quality music albums!! How did they ever load big open world games like GTA onto that? It's really incredible!

Oh yeah, super annoying. Especially because a lot of developers just use it as an excuse for bad coding. I mean, Root Letter uses that and STILL has noticeable slowdowns and crashes, amd gameplaywise it's a VANILLA VN! Weird shit if you ask me...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 5:01 PM