What's Your Gaming History?

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by vongruetz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. vongruetz

vongruetz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    If you're here, it means you love the PS Vita. But what got you to this point? What's your video game history look like? I'll go first.
    I started in the early 80's with an Intellivision II. After many rounds of Burgertime, we got the Nintendo Entertainment System. And we had the deluxe Nintendo with the the lightgun and R.O.B. the really useless robot.
    When it was time to decide between Sega and Nintendo, I became a Sega Genesis owner (and I still play it occasionally). I got the original Gameboy as well, and that also is still here and working for me.
    I played the Genesis right through the PSone/N64 era and didn't get another console until the PS2. Then in 2006 I bought a Nintendo DS and a Wii on launch day.
    I jumped back to PlayStation when God of War 3 came out and I picked up a PS3. I sold my DS to buy a PSP 3000 and was amazed at how much better the games were.
    When the PS Vita was announced I tried to resist, but I just couldn't. The Vita has been my primary gaming console ever since. I added a PS4 to the mix in December to complete my PlayStation collection.
    I also picked up an N64 at a garage sale (how could I pass up a perfect condition N64, two controllers, and Mario 64 for $5?). I also have a 3DS in the house, but it's my daughter's and I rarely touch it.

To sum up:
    Intellivision - NES - Sega Genesis - Gameboy - PS2 - DS - Wii - PS3 - PS Vita - PS4

What about you guys? What consoles did you start on?

Kelvin and RTRSPCT like this.
  2. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

My gaming history is as this:
    PS1 - GBC - PS2 - GBA - PSP - PS3 - PSV - X360 - PS4

The GBC and the PS1 were consoles that my family already had before I got hooked to videogames. I also have a Sega Mega Drive that my parents bought 2nd hand from a flea market a year ago

3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Back in the mid-90s, we got a SNES that myself and my siblings shared. We had Pitfall, the Lion King, Donkey Kong Country and several others. There was also a place in town to trade cartridges in for different ones too. I was also exposed to the N64 via my neighbour who had Golden Eye, Smash Bros and Clay Fighter. My brother bought a PS1 when it came out, but I didn't play it so much as watch him play from time to time. I didn't really keep up with gaming much after the SNES days, although my brother did so I had some exposure. The next few events happened relatively close to each other and I forget the exact order. Enter the PS2 (which we didn't get right away) and I ended up playing a lot of co-op games with my brother like Champions of Norath. We played Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube, which my friend bought shortly after being introduced to it so I'd play it at his place too, along with the original Xbox and PC. My brother eventually bought a second Game-boy Advance (I don't really remember why) and gave me his old one. Until then I'd never had my own console or handheld, and this is when I started playing Zelda, Pokemon and Fire Emblem which I borrowed from my brother. I took a liking to Fire Emblem specifically, and after playing the one for the Gamecube I had created a bit of an addiction I suppose. I then bought my own PS2 and started working through my brother's already extensive collection, starting off with the SRPGS. Suikoden Tactics, Eternal Poison, Stella Deus, etc. I then bought myself an off-lease PC with some money I'd saved up and delved into the world of older PC titles and an MMORPG. These events combined, which happened more or less concurrently are what got me hooked. Then the 360/PS3 came out. My aforementioned friend bought the 360, and my brother bought the PS3 so I was exposed to both. A Nintendo DS was later added to my collection, and then I got my first job while I was in High School. I had a gaming PC built from the ground up which I have kept up to date. I didn't get any new platforms until 2013, and then I bought a PS Vita in January, a 3DS in February and a PS3 in September.

So there you have it; I was exposed to gaming at a young age but then didn't keep up with it. Enter my early teens (or maybe tweens) and I started leeching off of other people who were into gaming: borrowing games, getting hand-me-downs and the odd gift. I was already a full-fledged gamer by the time I got my first job and I've not really ever slowed down or looked back. After playing nearly every major system and genre I've dug myself into a nice little niche. PC and Vita are my most used, followed by PS3 and 3DS.

For a complete list of systems I've played: NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, GBC, GBA, NDS, 3DS, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PC.
    For a complete list of systems I actually own: GBA, NDS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS Vita, Xbox, PC.

4. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    I started with the NES. In order I played them, here is how I went.

• NES
    • Game Boy
    • Game Boy Color
    • Nintendo 64
    • Game Boy Advance
    • PlayStation
    • Nintendo DS
    • PlayStation Portable
    • PlayStation 2
    • PlayStation 3
    • Nintendo 3DS
    • Mobile (iOS)
    • PlayStation Vita

5. Brian Sharon

Brian Sharon Well-Known Member

• NES
    • Genesis
    • Game Gear
    • Super Nintendo
    • Game Boy
    • Game Boy Colour
    • Sega Saturn
    • Nintendo 64
    • Game Boy Advance
    • Dreamcast
    • Xbox
    • PSP
    • Nintendo DS
    • Nintendo Wii
    • PlayStation 3
    • Nintendo 3DS
    • PlayStation Vita
    I suppose you could also include PC anywhere in there as well as arcades.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  6. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    • NES
    • Game Boy
    • Game Boy Colour
    • Nintendo 64
    • PlayStation
    • Game Boy Advance
    • PlayStation 2
    • GameCube
    • PlayStation Portable
    • PlayStation 3
    • iOS
    • PlayStation Vita
    • Wii U
    Yeah I have a Wii U.

7. Chaz3010

Chaz3010 Former Deputy Editor Staff Member

PSN ID:
    Chaz3010
    Here's mine

• Master System
    • Mega Drive
    • Game Gear
    • Game Boy
    • PlayStation
    • N64
    • Saturn
    • Game Boy Colour
    • PlayStation 2
    • Game Boy Advance
    • Xbox
    • GameCube
    • PlayStation Portable
    • Xbox 360
    • PS3
    • Nintendo DS
    • Wii
    • Nintendo 3DS
    • PlayStation Vita
    • PlayStation 4
    That's the console list, not counting PC or mobile phones :)

8. vongruetz

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    You, sir, are one dedicated gamer. Looks like you really went hardcore with the 5th gen having the Saturn, PSone and N64. Then it looks like you went all consoles after that. Wow. Looks like you're just missing an Xbox One and Wii U. Any plans? (and no Dreamcast? Seems odd after having so many Sega consoles)

9. Chaz3010

Chaz3010 Former Deputy Editor Staff Member

PSN ID:
    Chaz3010
    Hey, yeah I did go a bit crazy with consoles from the late 90's onwards. To be honest, I've no idea why I never bought a Dreamcast, I've toyed with the idea a few times but at the time it was launched my best friend had one, so I spent a lot of time on his.

To be honest, I can't see myself going all out as much now. Now I have bills etc to pay for, at the start of the last gen I still lived with parents so I had a lot of disposable income. Now I've moved out, bought a new car etc not so much haha.

I can't see myself getting the Xbox One or Wii U at the moment, but I will never say never, at the minute I am running out of space for more consoles (my PS3 and PS4 are in the lounge, with the rest shared between my spare room and my fathers house). I think my next purchase will be a Vita TV, mainly so that I can use PS4 on both the lounge and spare room TV.

I kinda feel bad having a lot of them now because they don't get much use, the 360 has RROD'd, I think the Saturn needs a fuse changing inside it. I reckon rather than adding new consoles to the collection, i may look at bolstering the game library I have for the consoles I currently own :)

10. repoman

repoman Member

ZX Spectrum - Amiga 1200 - SNES - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - Xbox 360 - PS Vita

There's been others along the way (Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy Advance, PSP, Nintendo DS) but the above are the ones that really got the play.

11. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Intellivision
    Atari
    NES
    Super Nintendo
    TurboGrafx 16
    Sega Genesis
    Game boy
    NeoGeo Pocket
    Dreamcast
    PC
    PlayStation
    Nintendo Gamcube
    Xbox
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    PSP1000
    PSP2000
    PSP3000
    PSPgo
    NDS
    3DS
    3DS XL
    PS VITA
    PC

I listed PC twice because I've gone back and forth with years in between of not playing it.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  12. vongruetz

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    I like to see someone else who started off on the Intellivision. I have fond memories of that system. We had the Intelli-voice, and I still can hear it say, "Mattel Electronics presents: B-17 Booooomber." For some reason, it had a Southern accent.

Darkknezz likes this.
  13. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

NES
    SNES
    Sega Genesis (mainly my cousins and then I eventually got one)
    Dreamcast (don't remember if we had one, but I did play it, and in later years bought one myself)
    Gameboy
    Gameboy Advance SP
    N64
    PS1
    PS2
    Xbox
    Gamecube
    Xbox 360
    PSP (for a short time)
    Playstation 3
    Playstation Vita
    Wii U (Sold)
    3DS (sold)
    Playstation 4
    Xbox One

I believe that is it.

14. mafia97

mafia97 Member

Nes-snes-pc-psp-better pc-xbox for some time-ps vita-ps4

15. radmiralackbar

radmiralackbar Active Member

Gameboy color
    Xbox 360
    Ps Vita

16. clemyeats

clemyeats Member

PSN ID:
    clemyeats
    Atari ST (played that one a lot)
    Gameboy
    PC
    Atari Lynx
    SNES
    PS2
    Wii
    X360 (played that one a lot too)
    PS3
    PS4
    Vita (playing that one a lot at the moment)

17. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Home Console: NES > SNES > Genesis > PlayStation > N64 > PlayStation 2 > GameCube > PlayStation 3 + PlayStation 4 (Current)
    Handheld: Gameboy > GameGear > Gameboy Colour > PSP > PSVita + 3DS (Current)

18. PsychoDon904

PsychoDon904 Member

Consoles i owned or had at the time since i started in 1998: Playstation* - Playstation 2* - Gamecube* - Xbox* - Playstation 3 (x2/1YLOD May 09) - Xbox 360 - Wii

* No longer Own

Will be a bit behind the current gen train for a little while. Planned consoles: Playstation 4 - Wii U

19. somebody336

somebody336 Member

In order that I played them is

SNES
    Atari 2800
    Genesis
    N64
    Ps1
    Sega Saturn
    Turbographx 16
    NES
    Dreamcast
    PC
    PS2
    Xbox
    PSP
    Xbox 360
    Nintendo DS
    PS3
    3DS
    Wii u

20. God Eaterz

God Eaterz Active Member

In this order:

Ps1
    Gameboy advanced
    Ps2
    Psp
    Ps3
    Wii
    PsVita
    Wii U
    Xbox 360
    Ds
    3ds

21. vongruetz

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    No PS Vita? How odd to find you at The Lounge then :)

22. God Eaterz

God Eaterz Active Member

Loool that a very interesting question Vongruetz. Most likely by google.

23. RTRSPCT

RTRSPCT Well-Known Member

Chronologically, though some have been purchased multiple times (like the PSP and Wii for instance)

1990 - Nintendo Game Boy
    1991 - Nintendo NES
    1992 - Nintendo Famicom
    1993 - Nintendo Super Famicom
    1994 - Personal Computer (486 DX2 66Mhz, 8MB RAM)
    1995 - SONY PlayStation
    1997 - Nintendo N64
    1998 - Nintendo Game Boy Color
    1999 - Neo Geo Pocket Color
    1999 - Commodore Amiga 1200
    2000 - SEGA Dreamcast
    2001 - SONY PlayStation 2
    2001 - Nintendo Game Boy Advance
    2002 - Nintendo GameCube
    2002 - MS Xbox
    2004 - Personal Computer (unknown specs, for games like UT 2003/4)
    2005 - SONY PSP
    2006 - Nintendo Wii
    2006 - Nintendo DS
    2007 - MS Xbox 360
    2008 - Nintendo DS Lite
    2009 - 2011 - ...
    2012 - Nintendo 3DS
    2013 - SONY PS Vita

I really have no idea how many games I have played and witnessed till now. All I know is that it's an incredible amount.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Kelvin likes this.
  24. Kurisutina

Kurisutina Ultimate Vita Enthusiast

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    I got my start thanks to the NES, though it was actually my uncle's when I first came to Canadia long ago. I then got my own Super Nintendo, which was the Mario World bundle. Then, despite wanting an N64, the store clerk at Walmart convinced my mom that getting a PlayStation was better. I remember being sad for a long while but the demo disc which was included with the Dualshock SKU turned everything around. I was introduced to new experiences, like Metal Gear Solid, Parasite Eve, Spyro the Dragon, and more! I don't even remember if Crash was on the disc as well but if he wasn't it wasn't a problem as I had played a PS1 at Costco and got to experience Crash and Parappa the Rapper that way. That's how I came to PlayStation and now I'm quite grateful to that store clerk. Of course my story's not quite over yet. I was still quite attached to Nintendo despite enjoying the new PlayStation experience. So Gen 6, I upgraded to Gamecube and got Smash Bros Melee. That entertained me for awhile but...when I ended up wanting to get a PS2, that's what really sealed me in as a PlayStation fan. Nintendo games just weren't appealing anymore and so I got the PS2 and it was gaming heaven. From there I went on to PSP, DSL, Wii, Xbox 360, then PS3. Now for the new gen, I'm at PS Vita/3DS XL, no gen 8 console at this time.

Gen 7 made me multiplatform but it also cemented me being a handheld gamer. PSP I felt was the true evolution to GBA, oh which I left out by accident, sorry. I had a GBA SP as well in Gen 6. I played quite a bit of games on my PSP, especially import games. I was blown away by the PSP's graphics honestly. I was just looking forward to the PSP's successor for so long. The announcement in 2011 was just magical. That's pretty much how I arrived, even if I didn't get the Vita until 2013, I followed its developments and had PS+ to accumulate games.

25. MatrixxGT

MatrixxGT Member

Was watching some old home videos the other day. There was a part of me playing asteroids and centepede on an Atari. The time stamp on the cassatte tape was march 1991 which would put me at 3yrs old. Really got into gaming with the NES and SNES. Since then I've had just about every console except the Sega systems. My cousin had a dreamcast that I used to play though.