What's Your Gaming History?

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by vongruetz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. stevemontuno

stevemontuno Member

Atari 2600
    Spectrum 48k
    Specktrum 128k
    Amstrad CPC464
    Atari STe
    Sega Master System
    Mega Drive
    Game Gear
    PS1
    Xbox
    PSP
    Xbox 360
    PS Vita

2. UpLinked

UpLinked Member

Hi, all. I haven't seen (unless I missed it) anyone mention the AFP TV Fun. That would be my first one.

[​IMG]

Then Atari 2600, Intellivision, then every Nintendo, XBox, PS3, 3DS, and PS Vita.

3. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Hmm, great threads. Let's see...

NES/Game & Watch - probably around the same time
    GameBoy
    Super Nintendo
    GameBoy Colour
    N64
    GameBoy Advance
    PlayStation
    PlayStation 2
    Dreamcast (got one off eBay for some fun)
    Xbox 360
    PlayStation 3
    PC (would PC game before, but started more seriously at this time)
    Mix of iOS/Android on various phones/tablets
    PS Vita

As you can see, I seem to interleave between different consoles.

4. VietLe

VietLe Well-Known Member

Oh.. Compared to you guys, I seem to be having the least experience with console lol..

I grew up with the NES until I'm 13 and it just broke.

Then I have a very brief period with the Playstation 2 playing mostly Final Fantasy and the Tales of series for about a year before my dad gave it away to my cousin.

After that I have only played games on PC up until the VITA just a couple of months ago. However, back then, most of my PC gaming focused on games on emulators like GBA, N64 on my dad's old desktop. It's not until just two years ago before I can afford my first laptop and have access to proper PC games lol.

So basically my gaming history is like this

NES - Playstation2 - PC - VITA

Should I say that I only play the best platforms of its time?

5. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Having Intellivision and Atari in our list also means we might be a couple of the elder gamers, dating ourselves with those consoles lol

6. Jordy

Jordy Well-Known Member

Game Gear
    PS1
    Gameboy Color
    Gameboy Advance
    Gamecube
    DS
    PS2
    PSP
    Xbox 360
    PS Vita
    3Ds
    2Ds

7. HomelyBird

HomelyBird Member

Game Boy
    Game Boy Color
    N64
    PS1
    Dreamcast
    Intellivision
    Super Nintendo
    PS2
    Xbox
    Nintendo DS lite
    PSP
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    PS4
    PS Vita

I had relatives with consoles that were way before my time (Intellivision) but I'm surprised there isn't more love for the Dreamcast. :confused: That system was awesome!

8. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Dreamcast ended up being a party console for my brother and myself due to the breadth of fighting games on there! We would play that all the time with friends when they would come over.

HomelyBird likes this.
  9. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Active Member

Heres my list started when my brother was "too old" for video games, and passed me down his SNES, and Gameboy.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    Gameboy
    Nintendo 64
    PlayStation 1
    Gameboy Colour
    Gameboy Advanced
    PlayStation 2
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Nintendo Gamecube
    Xbox Classic
    Nintendo DS
    PlayStation 3
    PlayStation VITA
    Nintendo 3DS XL
    Xbox 360
    (NES, Saturn, Dreamcast - Started collecting retro)
    WiiU
    PlayStation 4

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  10. Darkknezz

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Never too old to game, I still play tribes or league of legends with my uncle and he's in his 50s....shoot, I'm almost 40.

11. Darkknezz

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Loved the fishing games on DC with the rod controller

HomelyBird likes this.
  12. maouvin

maouvin Active Member

Master System
    SNES
    N64 (launched here on 1997/1998 iirc)
    PS2
    PSP
    PS3
    Vita
    PS4

Between the SNES and N64 I delved deep into PC gaming (and emulation), and since all of my friends had a PS1 I never felt like getting one.

13. Stefarno

Stefarno Well-Known Member

ZX Spectrum (parents got it before I was born)
    Amiga 600HD (1992)
    PS1 (1996)
    PC #1 (1999)
    PS2 (2001)
    PC #2 (2004)
    Xbox (2005)
    Gamecube (2006)
    DS (2007)
    PC #3 (2007)
    PSP (2008)
    Xbox 360 (2008)
    Wii (2009)
    PS3 (2012)
    Vita (2013)
    PC #4 (2013)
    PS4 (2014)
    3DS (2015)

Some of these years may be out by a year.

14. Andrei

Andrei Active Member

Well this is quite hard to remember rightly:

-Commodore 64
    -Master System
    -Megadrive (Genesis)
    -PS1
    -N64
    -Dreamcast
    -PS2
    -PSP
    -Wii
    -Xbox 360
    -3DS
    -Vita
    -Wii U

Yep, it is a crime. I never owned a NES or SNES. Don't worry I've emulated the whole lot of awesome SNES games though. That was one hell of a good console. SEGA was just always a bigger deal in Europe back then.

15. Lucas226

Lucas226 Member

NES
    Gameboy
    Genesis
    SNES
    GBC
    Saturn
    N64
    PS1
    GBA
    Dreamcast
    GameCube
    PS2
    GBA SP
    GB Micro
    DS
    PSP
    Wii
    PS3
    DSi
    3DS XL
    Vita
    PS4

First memory was when I was 2 years old playing Friday the 13th on NES (I was afraid lol)

16. HomelyBird

HomelyBird Member

I remember getting scared by the Bando Gora in Star Wars Bounty Hunter on the PS2

17. comeoutpunching

comeoutpunching Well-Known Member

Consoles:
    NES
    SNES
    PS1
    Jaguar
    Xbox
    Xbox 360
    PS3

Handhelds (deep breath :| ):
    Gameboy
    Gameboy pocket
    Gameboy light
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Gameboy Micro
    DS Lite
    DSi
    DSi XL
    3DS
    3DS XL
    2DS
    New 3DS XL
    PSP
    PS Vita
    Wonderswan Color
    Swancrystal
    Neogeo Pocket Color
    Game.com Pocket Pro
    Atari Lynx II
    Pokemon Mini
    Game Gear

Given my love of handhelds, it is quite a compliment that I consider Vita the best ever made :)

18. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Nothing crazy in my history, just the standards :p

NES
    Game Boy Pocket
    Game Boy Color
    Sega Genesis
    PS1
    PS2
    PS3
    PSP
    PS Vita!!

19. Madbomb

Madbomb Member

Started when I was 5 years old with a Gameboy Advance, which was early 2000's. Mostly kiddish games, like Pokemon. I did have a few T games, but those were taken from me when my mom realized what that meant (my parents actually followed the rating system). During this, I also was playing games on a computer loaded to the brim with games. No internet access, so that was the only thing I could do on my comp. After a little while, I managed to save up enough money to buy a PS2, which was my first try at the Sony stuff. There were tons of games I wanted at that point, but a good chunk of them were over my age limit so I couldn't play them. When the DS came out, I bought a black DS Lite. Ended up getting a new one because I spilled grape juice on it and dropped it down the stairs a bunch of times over the years. Got a DSi for Christmas to replace the DS Lite, but got a new DS Lite as well because I still wanted to play my GBA games. Got a 3DS the next Christmas. Somewhere along the lines we also got a Wii, which I played only a few games on before I stopped. It was official that I became a portable gamer. Bought a Vita over Amazon (I wanted the original, not the Slim. Wanted better graphics.), and got it in the mail after I graduated from Highschool. It's been about a year, and I still play it. More so than my DS systems.

TL;DR
    Computer (Physical and flash games (Steam never really worked with me lol))
    GBA
    PS2
    DS Lite
    DSi
    Wii
    3DS
    PS Vita

20. Yaster

Yaster Well-Known Member

In order of when I obtained the systems (note the late arrival of a Master System)

80s
    - ZX Spectrum

90s
    - Atari ST (pleased to see there's one other in this thread)
    - Game Gear
    - SNES
    - Super Gameboy
    - Megadrive
    - 32X
    - Saturn
    - PlayStation
    - N64
    - Gameboy Color
    - Dreamcast
    - Neo Geo Pocket Color

00s
    - Gameboy Advance
    - Master System
    - PlayStation 2
    - Game Cube
    - PSP
    - Xbox
    - Xbox 360
    - DS
    - PlayStation 3
    - Wii
    - A PC that was build specifically for gaming

10s
    - iPhones, Androids and iPads at various intervals thanks to the fact that they turn into shite after a year and you have to buy new ones
    - 3DS (traded in, would buy another later on)
    - PS Vita
    - PlayStation 4
    - Another gaming specific PC
    - Wii U
    - Nexus Player (Android TV)

Ever since the PS2, I have been pretty PlayStation centric though with a lot of the other systems being my "secondary" console. Most of the original systems I had I don't own any more but I may have re-bought later in life, like my SNES for example.

I also don't own the older gameboys any more but my Gameboy Advance plays my older games.

It didn't take long for me to trade in the old DS and the Wii, but my 3DS and Wii U play their games no issue.

I no longer have the Xbox or the 360, I actually denounced all ownership of my Xboxes in the run up to the PS4 coming out. In fact, I have still never touched an Xbox One pad.

21. AceofOpus

AceofOpus Member

My dad got the family a PS1 the holiday after it's original NA launch date. I can even remember the first five games: NBA Jam T.E., Ridge Racer, Air Combat (would become Ace Combat), Tekken and NFL Gameday 95. The console really wouldn't be mine until I got a copy of the original Crash Bandicoot the next year. After that I, luckily, begged my parents for a Gameboy just in time for the Gameboy Color's release and then I was hooked.

My favorite console of all time is hands down the PS2. I am just about to reach 300 games for the console but at this point there are very few games I'd like to own. I wouldn't really call myself a Sony fanboy despite owning an inordinate amount of their merchandise. I was and still am a huge JRPG nut and that's just where those games are. As of this moment I own 16 different unique consoles not including various SKUs.

I was lucky to do a lot of traveling when I was younger, and all my summers were spent at the beach so through that I fell in love with portable gaming. I've as much of my portable gaming history as possible though recently I began selling off some of my DS collection. I feel like in the future I might sell off a large number of consoles and games but I'll probably keep hold of my portables seeing as I use them the most.

22. B91212R

B91212R Active Member

Some impressive lists in this thread. Going to show my age here-

ZX Spectrum+ (plastic keybord for those in the know!).
    Amiga 500
    PS1
    1- PC - Store bought, had no idea about specs but convinced Mum it was needed for school work (it wasn't, gaming and net use only)
    Original Xbox
    2- PC - Home built
    3- PC - Mrs store bought unit that she had just purchased when we first met, combined the best bits of that and my 2-PC.
    Wii - Mainly a gift for the Mrs
    Xbox 360 - Quickly realsied that the Wii wasn't going to hold my attention for very long.
    PS Vita
    PS4
    Xbox 1

Have/had various laptops and mobile platforms but do not game on them. Special shout out to the old BBC and Acorn computers we had at school that originally got me hooked on gaming when I was very very young (Hopper, Painter etc).

After 30+ years of gaming the Vita is the first handheld I've ever owned.

23. Yaster

Yaster Well-Known Member

Looks like you avoided consoles for a long period of time there.

24. B91212R

B91212R Active Member

Not deliberately as such but it worked out that way. Always had PC's to game on and loved it during school but as I grew up I began to waste my free time on beer, football and (nearly always unsuccessfully) trying to impress women, only occasionally playing games. Even then titles had to grab my attention early on otherwise I disregarded them very quickly. Indirectly it was the original Xbox that got my interest going in gaming again and that wasn't a planned thing. My stepbrother was getting one for Christmas and even though I had long since flown the nest my Mum got me one at the same time. It was mainly used for multiplayer when the lads were round but it did get me really intersted in gaming and the industry again, originally more on the PC and then the 360 and onto the current generation of consoles. Growing up my mates had all the Sega's and Nintendo's (and later PS2) so I did get to spend a decent amount of time playing them even though I didn't actually own them.

25. benna

benna Well-Known Member

Pong ---> to present

I used an Atari 2600 with supercharger, cassette tape, and dragon stomper, phaser patrol, and escape from the mindmaster. Dragon stomper was such awesomeness...
    The specs for the Starpath Supercharger " It adds 6 KB to the Atari 2600's 128 bytes of RAM (increasing its RAM 49-fold)" !!! :eek: omg.. this is like god level awesomeness!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I moved to an Atari 400 computer. I loaded my adventure games with a tape recorder...when you would get to a new area the tape recorder would start loading again and scare the heck out of you.
    Text adventure games were so awesome, you had to use something called "Your imagination"... so bleeding edge. The game would scale with the IQ of the player! :eek:o_O
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    While I was a student, my first hard drive cost me $1200 and had...wait for it...a whopping 20Megabytes. OMG how we will EVER fill this up... its humongous! :D Thats the hard drive underneath the monitor.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

When I was at the university of Waterloo, I had friends who would build Apple 2 computers from garage "kits". Since we didn't have anything that would approach a modern day computer case, we would build it inside a suitcase. Precursor to a laptop computer? It was so awesome seeing Broderbund's Choplifter and Loadrunner, running on this thing. Yeah the suitcase had a lock so it was secure :p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015