What's Your Gaming History?

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by vongruetz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. benna

benna Well-Known Member

Well, I showed my post above to someone. I guess a 'young' someone in their teens, and I was called "LAME". I don't know how to take this. I feel sad and offended.
    Really the post is not to brag, its part of my personal gaming history, from growing up and living through the creation of computers, consoles, electronics. This is a time BEFORE the internet even existed. Before when an IBM PC cost $8000 for a green screen. I thought it would be interesting to tell people of my time when things were done in bytes and in K. They were exciting times for me, I was young, and to be honest, I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    How does being called lame make me feel? Really? I guess 'Redundant' is how i'm feeling right now.... and just old and forgotten. Like Scotty in that StarTrek TNG episode when they find him after decades have passed. I guess I feel LAME. :(

Sure its old, but its looking at what we had in the past, that makes me appreciate more, the present, how awesome the Vita is when I play it now.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    idropacatpark likes this.
  2. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

I've just read your post & I thought it was great & certainly not lame in any way whatsoever.

I started gaming in the late 1970's & went from Merlin by Parker Bros., Scramble by Grandstand, Donkey Kong G&W, ZX Spectrum to lots of other handhelds/consoles. And like you, it's part of my history & holds really great memories for me. Wonderful times playing lots of different types of games & buying gaming magazines such as Crash, YS & C&VG.

Certainly don't feel redundant as there are thousands of gamers like you & me who grew up through exciting times, marvelling at all the cool & exciting computer games that we were able to experience.

benna likes this.
  3. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

As a child of the 90s my route was...

Megadrive -> PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4

Once I started on the Sony path I did not falter =p

As far as handhelds go...

GBC -> GBA SP -> PSP -> DS Lite -> PSV -> 3DSXL

4. b0h3mian

b0h3mian Well-Known Member

• MS-DOS (Alley Cat)
    • NES (Contra, Megaman, Mario)
    • Windows 3.1 (Sim City, Doom)
    • Gameboy (Megaman, Zelda)
    • SNES (A lot a lot of games)
    • Megadrive (Sonic)

• Windows 95 (Command & Conquer)
    • Gameboy Color (mostly in the possession of my sis for her Pokemon)
    • PlayStation 1 (Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, Ace Combat, alot a lot of games)
    • Gameboy Advance (Zelda, Kirby)
    • PlayStation 2 (Final Fantasy X, XII, Ace Combat, alot a lot of games)

*gave up on PC gaming at this point*

• PlayStation Portable (A lot a lot of games)
    • PlayStation 3 (A lot a lot of games)
    • 3DS XL (A lot a lot of games)
    • PlayStation Vita (A lot a lot of games)

Never really got into the Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube, Wii etc. Family wasn't doing that great financially during those times, and I just started work. Money has been tight haha

PlayStation 4 is definitely on my "to buy" list next!

5. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Started in 1984.

Over AU $200,000 later...I'm mostly a Sony anything home/portable game console supporter now.

borahyah likes this.
  6. borahyah

borahyah Member

I am 28 and my family owned our first console in the early 90s.

Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Windows/PC, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Nintendo DSi, and now a Wii U, PS4 and a Vita! Lol, I obviously took several breaks in gaming, but I'm back :cool:. I also have a Macbook Pro now. I don't game on it, strictly for school/work, but I played several years of WoW on my old PC.

I am a Samsung, Sony, and Apple fan.

7. coachjjs75

coachjjs75 Well-Known Member

Atari - was the first game console I play at a home, then the commander 64..... they started a bug inside me.....
    intellivision b-17 bomber --- first game I ever play in my home !!!!
    after that many..... many quaters in the " arcades"
    then the Turbographx 16 .. i had just one game. and dam i cant remember that game.... "old age " :)
    sega game gear .... my first hand handle !!! 3 games all Sonic !!!
    then the PSX !!!!!!!! CD'S Music and MSG !!!! Crash !! Tekken !!!!
    PS2 ... some many games there !!!
    xbox -- ya i did go there...
    xbox 360 ----- it was a gift..... but it did not last long...
    PS3 --- I just left it x-mas 2015 !!! The best ONE hands down !!!!!
    PSP 1000 - Day one spider man 2 box set ........ life was never the same..... p/s still go that psp and the umd movie and demo discs !!!!
    PSP 1000 --- about 2 more , because I bricked some..... :(
    PSP 2000 ----- No Joke Here - Star Wars White, Madden Blue And the Silver One. ,, cant remember what happen to them all....
    PSP 3000 --- black one, i got 2 of them. gave one to my friend, and traded the other for a white one that I had for a long time until I flash the MS and forgot what I was doing and turn it off......
    PSPGO - white , still have her, the battery is not go but she still plays.
    PS VITA BLACK --- DAY ONE , It still around " my son has that one now '

so now I have a PS4 -- " x-mas gift from my kids ' ps vita white, ps vita black slim. white pspgo and my day one psp1000 !!!!

8. Colorado Rockie

Colorado Rockie Well-Known Member

My first system was a Game Gear followed by a Game Boy which I received for Christmas from my cousin's parents.
    My parents weren't (and still aren't) a fan of video games when I was young and were reluctant to get me a home console.
    It wasn't until I was about 11 that they finally gave in and bought me a PlayStation. It was a few years into that console cycle and it was a nice Costco bundle that came with an extra Dual Shock, memory card and the games Twisted Metal II and Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.

So here is what I have owned:
    Game Gear
    Game Boy
    PS1
    PS2
    Dreamcast (I bought this about 6 months after the PS2 released when it was $79.99)
    Xbox
    GBA
    Gamecube
    PS3
    DS
    PSP
    3DS
    Vita!
    Xbox One

I also collect games from consoles that I did not own growing up like NES, SNES, Genesis, 3DO, Neo-Geo, Jaguar, etc.

9. BonusKun

BonusKun New Member

Let's see. I guess you could say one of the 1st games I played was back in 1978 as a kid when I 1st saw a Tank game in an arcade. I think it was called Battlezone? I eventually had an Atari 2600, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis which I still love to death, Super Nes which of course was my goto machine for RPGs.

Oh and I almost forgot, I was an avid Commodore 64 and Amiga gamer as well.

I naturally jumped into the Sega Saturn, PlayStation 1, N64 for a short time and Gamecube as well which I still own and love. Honestly enough I never picked up an original Xbox or any of Microsoft's Systems. In fact I only just picked up an OG Xbox last year from a friend which I'm very happy with seeing as I'm enjoying a lot of great games on it. I'm into my PSP a lot also so getting a Vita was the next step for me which I'm happy I did.

Of course like most people I own a Wii and a Wii U *Loving XenoBlade Chronicles X so much right now* and I'm looking forward to more new titles for the current gen systems I own. My next purchase which I finally decided will be a PS4 and I'll be looking forward to digging into some killer software.

Oh and since I'm sure someone will ask, I just turned 44 last year.

~BonusKun

10. Kyonko

Kyonko Member

As someone who was born in the late 80s (July 1989, I'M AN 80s CHILD, NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME! lol)

I had the following:

PS1
    PS2
    PS3
    PS4
    PSP
    PS Vita
    and just recently purchased a Pocket Station cheap as well :D

PC (Command and Conquer series, the original GTA, Theme Hospital & Park)

Other consoles:

NES
    N64 (Pikachu Edition)
    Gamecube
    Wiiiiiiiiiiii (sorry)
    Game boy (Pikachu Edition)
    Game boy SP
    Game boy Advance
    DS
    3DS (Pikachu Edition)

Xbox
    Xbox 360 Elite

Sega Mega Drive
    Sega Mega Drive 2
    Sega Saturn

'THE Vectrex'

So yeah I have quite a history and still have all these consoles in my collection :D

11. SasukeTheRipper

SasukeTheRipper Well-Known Member

Game Boy Color
    Game Boy Advance
    Xbox
    GameCube
    Nintendo DS
    PS2
    PSP
    Wii
    PS3
    Nintendo DS Lita
    PSPgo
    PS Vita
    Nintendo 3DS
    Wii U
    New Nintendo 3DS
    PS4

12. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

As someone borned in 91 I'm a bit of a retrofag (and I fucking love being one):

Megadrive (both, best system ever created, I won't discuss this xD )
    Arcades (yeah, I didn't own one, they just owned me instead and still do)
    Game Boy Color
    PlayStation One
    PC (Starcraft, Warcraft, AoE II, etc, the good and "old" RTSs games)
    Game Boy Advanced SP
    Playstation 2
    Dreamcast
    PSP
    Wii ( and I regret it every single day)
    Neo Geo Pocket Color
    PS Vita TV
    PS Vita

I've played many other systems and even own some others, but these are basically the ones I've bought as years went by. For collection purposes I also have a NES and SNES, but I'm not a big fan of them. NDS is nowhere in the list, I just hate the dual screen.
    My platonic love will always be the Neo Geo MVS (not AES), but you can call me a Sega fan if you want (16 bit console war will always be 'the console war').

13. Mariee

Mariee Member

Atari
    NES
    Gameboy
    Super Nintendo
    Sega Game Gear
    Nintendo 64
    Gameboy Color
    PS1
    PS2
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Nintendo ds
    Nintendo dsi
    PSP
    Xbox
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    Nintendo 3ds
    nintendo 3ds xl
    Xbox one
    New Nintendo 3ds xl
    New nintendo 3ds
    PS4
    PS Vita

PC gaming and i started with gunbound omg

14. samus1818

samus1818 Active Member

I started with the NES, but that belonged to my brother. I was still a little kid, and I couldn't beat any game LOL I later bought a Game Boy (wish I didn't give that away)-->N64-->Sega Saturn-->Dream Cast-->PS1-->PS2-->Nintendo DS-->Nintendo Wii-->Xbox 360-->PS Vita-->Just bought a PS3 for the first time a few months ago :D I'm planning on buying a PSP and a Game Boy Advance.

15. r-blitter

r-blitter Active Member

Amstrad 464
    Commodore 64
    Spectrum 48K
    Amiga 500
    Amstrad 464 Plus (bought after the Amiga as it was cheap)
    Mega Drive
    Master System (bought after the Megadrive as it was cheap)
    SNES
    GameBoy
    Lynx
    Amiga 1200
    CD32
    PS1
    N64
    PS2
    GBA
    PSP
    GP32
    NGPC
    Xbox 360
    PS Vita
    Nintendo 3DS
    Wii
    PS4

Although I now own a larger amount of systems (Vectrex, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, GB variants, Neo Geo, Game Gear, dozens of Commodores/Amigas, FM Towns and abunch of others I cannot think of right now) the ones in the list are the ones that were actively used when they are on release.

My journey started when I was quite young and a friend had an Amstrad 464 which I loved at the time in its green screen glory. Being a young child I thought I would ask my dad if he had a computer (despite never seeing one around the house) and he pulled out a Commodore 64 from a cupboard. This was then brought out every weekend to use.

The biggest change was getting the Amiga 500 which was then permanently set up and because of the amount of piracy at the time ended up playing vast amount of games.

16. idropacatpark

idropacatpark New Member

NES
    SNES
    GAMEBOY
    ARCADE (does that count?)
    PLAYSTATION
    DREAMCAST
    PC
    PS2

(stuck in the game of life...)

PS VITA...

first game i played super mario bros of course then mostly beat-em-ups, some RPGs, action adventures and a lot of platforming games.
    Most memorable for me is "FATAL FRAME 2: CRIMSON BUTTERFLY" on the PS2, my first time playing a survival horror game that made me uncomfortable when I'm taking shower 'coz I'm too afraid that someone might apear right in front of me when i close my eyes. That game is one hellu'va nightmare.

[​IMG]

17. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

I started gaming when I was 5 on the Sega Megadrive. I loved Sonic 1+2, Streets of Rage and Aladdin. I would also play on the Sega Master system round my cousin's house (unfortunately passed away recently :() and got to play the Master System versions of Sonic as well as Alex The Kidd. I also had a Gameboy at this time though I only really played Tetris.

Then me and my brother got a PlayStation for Christmas, the console that would change my life and turn me into the unabashed Sony fanboy that I am today. We got it alongside Tekken, (a series that I have followed to this day, looking forward to T7 next year) Trash It, Worms and Croc: Legend of The Gobbos. My fondest memories of the PS1 included Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII and Tekken 3.

Thankfully around this time I had a friend across the street who owned an N64, plus my cousins who owned a Saturn so I got to play a bunch of games on the other systems. My Dad also played on PC so I got to play a bunch of classic adventure games like Day of The Tentacle and Grim Fandango.

Then came the PS2, possibly the greatest console of all time. To this day there are still many PS2 games that I haven't gotten around to playing. I also had a GBA around this time too, though I didn't play it much outside of Castlevania: Circle of The Moon.

I eventually bought a Gamecube and Xbox shortly before the 360 launched, though I still massively preferred the PS2's library. I also got a PSP around this time, several months before it was available in the UK. :p

I got a Wii for Christmas the year it was released... and subsequently sold it two years later for some PS3 games. I honestly have no regrets there.

After my 2ND year at university I worked for 3 months solid to save up for a PS3 with Resistance, Oblivion, Motorstorm and Ridge Racer 7. Still a cracking console with tons of hidden gems.

Then came the Vita and PS4, and then eventually I Re-bought a PS1 and PS2 and built up my collection once more so that I owned every Sony console. So while I've dabbled in other gaming systems, Playstation has been the major player in my gaming life, and I can't see myself straying from it anytime soon. :)

18. Tweeg

Tweeg Active Member

Best Guess Chronological Order Summary.:
    Magnavox Odyssey 2
    Atari 2600
    Tandy TRS-80
    Commodore 64
    Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
    Nintendo Game Boy
    Sega Genesis
    Sega Game Gear
    Mattel Intellivision
    Sega CD
    Atari 7800
    Turbo Grafx 16
    Sega 32X
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
    Nintendo Virtual Boy
    Atari 5200
    Game.Com
    Nintendo 64
    Mattel Hyper Scan
    Sega Master System
    Nintendo Game Boy Color
    Sega Pico
    Milton Bradely Microvision
    Coleco Vision
    Atari Lynx
    Sega Dreamcast