Where is Slain?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Jawessome, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Jawessome

Jawessome Permanent Resident of Vita Island

PSN ID:
    PurrrePunjabi
    It was slated for a 1st of November release for our beloved Vitas. This was crossed out. Any ideas on a new release date?

2. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Sometime this month according to the devs twitter page. Hopefully we'll have some confirmation soon (thankfully Volgaar the Viking is coming this week so I can get my fill of bastard hard action games with that on my Vita while I wait!).

I have played Slain almost to death on my PS4 though. I've managed to get all the trophies bar doing a no death run and beating the final boss within 3 minutes (I'm close to that one though). Its a brilliant game so I'm hoping the Vita version lives up to the PS4 port.

Jawessome likes this.
  3. Kresnik

Kresnik TVL Guest Reviewer

I think the fact that they keep almost getting there but not quite should at least mean it's coming at some point, not that it's just disappeared and is never coming.

Also Digerati have published a fair bit of stuff on Vita which is promising.

4. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

I would love to have the amount of time you do to play games...where do you find all that time?

5. shadowman

Shift work - means I work 12 hour days (4 days in a row) but I also get 4 days off so that's plenty of time to blast through several games!

Jawessome likes this.
  6. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

Nice - i'm dreading how little i will play in a couple of weeks with a baby on the way

7. Jawessome

PSN ID:
    PurrrePunjabi
    I was just going to say - you obviously don't have kids. My boy is 4 and my girl is 2 and it is virtually impossible to game when they are awake unless it's a non involved mobile game.

Good luck The_stats_guy - enjoy the game time now while you can.

Effing Volgaar is coming to Vita too? Oh happy day!!!

Will lock both of these babies in. Thanks for the tip shadowman.

8. shadowman

Its a pity that Volgaar could not launch this week in Europe as well (just the USA) so I have to wait a little longer. Keeping an eye on Slain's twitter page suggests that we might hear of a new date soon for the Vita port - the team have been porting it to platforms themselves, one after another (Xbox One port just launched) so hopefully we'll have news of the Vita version soon. Its also a pity that the game is only getting a physical PS4 release (not Vita), as the signature edition looks amazing and probably will be something I buy, maybe LRG can pick up the Vita version for a limited release?

As for kids - nope, happily single! Which gives me a lot of spare time I can fill with gaming. Heck, even with my new PS4 Pro I still find myself heavily gravitating toward the Vita for some reason!

Jawessome likes this.
  9. VitaVision

VitaVision Member

Got to take advantage of naps and bedtimes guys!

10. shadowman

NinjaMicWZ likes this.
  11. Jawessome

PSN ID:
    PurrrePunjabi
  12. shadowman

Its already up on the store, however the one problem is that its not showing as cross buy at the moment like it should. So if I want to download the game I have to buy it again. Looking at the devs twitter page they are working on this with Sony, but for the time being I sit here impatiently waiting :(

13. shadowman

So cross buy is still broken, meaning I still can't play Slain unless I buy it all over again... Then again, the game has a game breaking glitch at the moment in one level making it impossible to finish the game, so maybe its a blessing in disguise. The devs are aware of the glitch and hope to have a patch out next week to fix the issue (according to Twitter/Facebook). Hopefully the cross buy issue gets fixed on Tuesday for the new store update, any later and I'll be too deep into Yakuza 6 to care.

14. Kresnik

Kresnik TVL Guest Reviewer

They've said they're aware of the cross-buy issue too, so we'll have to see.

Personally, I'm gonna wait and see what becomes of this physical copy business :p

15. shadowman

Agreed, a physical copy would be something I throw down extra money for! Still hope the cross buy issue gets fixed soon though, I was looking forward to comparing it to the PS4 port to see how it holds up.

16. shadowman

Cross buy is now fixed in Europe. Got the game queued up for download tonight. I'll post up my impressions of the Vita version/comparisons to the PS4 version tonight with any luck. Very much looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Jawessome likes this.
  17. shadowman

Ok, downloaded Slain onto my Vita along with the patch that should fix one that one game breaking glitch and my opinion isn't close to positive.

Bottom line, the port is garbage, looks damn nice but plays like shit. It feels like the frame rate maxes out at about 20FPS and it CONSTANTLY stutters, somehow I can still counter enemy attacks but not with 100% success (that's going to make certain no damage boss trophies next to impossible). Only played the first half of the first level and to be honest I can't be more disappointed than I am now. I love the PS4 port, its silky smooth and looks amazing, its probably one of my favourite action games of the year, while the Vita port looks poised to potentially even beat Firefly Diary as my most disappointing Vita game I played this year (which is some achievement in itself). So buyers beware, don't buy unless you have a PS4 to play the game on.

I wonder if there is any chance for a performance patch? Get it up to 30FPS without stuttering and I'd be satisfied. Not perfect, but it'd be better than it currently is that's for sure.

2048Dan and Calamity like this.
  18. shadowman

Ok, I'm revising my opinion to it being a stuttering mess that is still somehow very playable - the gameplay of Slain shines through the poor performance of the port. I can still counter enemies with surprising accuracy, I've got the first three stages down and managed to nab all the optional trophies along the way. Still wish the game was delayed like Salt and Sanctuary as from what I read on that port - the developer is really trying to optimise it as much as humanly possible and it sounds like he's almost there. I should be able to grab most of the trophies for my unhealthy need to collect virtual trophies then I'll probably end up deleting it to free up memory card space for something else.

19. shadowman

And done! Finished the game, managed to beat all bosses bar one without taking any damage (so I'll be replaying the old town level shortly to fix that mistake). Old Town does highlight the issues with the game the most - its far too busy on screen so its incredibly hard to see some things coming, frame rate dies on its ass a few times (large enemies and the boss). Thankfully the last level and final boss gets a bit "better". I still can't recommend anyone buy this game for the Vita port alone (thankfully its cross buy) but at least its not completely unplayable (else I'd never get close to perfecting boss battles!).

20. Jawessome

PSN ID:
    PurrrePunjabi
    I got to the second stage on Vita and deleted the game. Can't beat the third witch. Not impressed with the limited mechanics to be honest. Charged attack, dash back, block and basic attack in addition to magic? May have wowed me to some degree in the 16-bit days, but this seems like a bit of a budget game. Rogue Legacy, Shovel Knight kill this in it's tracks.

I still hold out hope for Volgaar which seems a little deeper.

zodaex likes this.
  21. shadowman

You are using the counter move right? Because counter beats pretty much everything in the game and is the key to beating each boss without taking damage - my tactic is usually counter hitting an enemy and following it up with a charge attack if time allows. If your not doing that your effectively not playing the game correctly. I personally loved it. It felt like a tightly designed game that felt like a classic action game in the vain of the older Castlevania games. Plus doing a no magic/mana run really forces you to get the countering down really well, as their are some choke points in a couple of the levels that will eat you alive otherwise! Thankfully I realised that the trophies were cross platform as well, so I'm just playing the game on my PS4 (using my Vita profile) so I managed to finally do the wolf run and no mana runs, two which are practically impossible on the Vita itself due to the terrible performance. I'm now about 33% done with a no death run on the game...
    Don't technically agree about the game feeling on a budget either - graphically its one of the best indie games in the genre I've ever seen - the attention to detail put into graphics and animation alone beats out most games, especially those that just use 8 bit looking graphics or cheap flash looking animations.
    Shovel Knight is still king though, can't dispute that.

22. 2048Dan

2048Dan Well-Known Member

The game is out but no keys has been sent out to PS4/Vita backers. So effing tired of Kickstarters right now...

23. Jawessome

PSN ID:
    PurrrePunjabi
    I'll try it on the PS4 and get back to you.

24. shadowman

Good idea, I did the same over the weekend and ended up getting all the trophies on the game that way! But also make sure you get the countering mechanic down as it really is the only way to fight the larger enemies in the game.