Why own a VITA?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by vita_lover, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

20 years from now, where will you collectors be?

2. Unknownwolf

Unknownwolf Well-Known Member

Who knows. 20 years is a long time. The ps vita would be a retro console by then. Look at the NES and other retro systems. Right now they are as popular as ever. People are collecting for them like crazy. Like 10 years ago you could probably get half the NES Library for < $1 a game, but now people are racking up the prices. So who knows in 20 years our collection could be worth $1 a game or it could be worth a lot more the retail value. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 LE is already selling at $500+, so in 20 years it can be $5000 or $50 pr anywhere in between, more or less.

My mom found a full copy of Shenmue 1 for the dreamcast at a garage sale for $1. She gave it to me. This was like 5 years ago. I check now and I sold the game for $50.

This especially interesting because of the limited market of games for the VITA. With retail stores stocking less and less, who knows what the value of VITA games will be.

3. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Just like memories...silicon doesn't last forever, you know...

4. Unknownwolf

But if you take a collection and take good care of it, it will last for your lifetime.

5. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

The Vita will be very well remembered in history - OLED screen and some of the very besrt games ever released.

No other game system has the games the VITA has - with Dangaronpa 3 and Zero Escape 3 being released in the near future this will remain true in the future as well.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Flying_Pig and Unknownwolf like this.
  6. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Bring on Vita 2 and 3 and so on...

7. vita_lover

Digital games are fine - but collector's editions are so cool. They go up in value too. Persona 4 Golden collector's editions go for 200 dollars easy.

8. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

You can pick up a used Vita for cheap, so there's no reason not to own a Vita now :)

9. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

1 HQ portable games.
    2 hate playing games on TV. (small screen fan)
    3 good battery.

10. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Can produce awesome graphics too, considering it's 2011 hardware.

11. Kijof

Kijof Well-Known Member

To me:

1. Lots and lots of J-Games
    2. Great indies titles
    3. Great portable hardware

Pata likes this.
  12. vita_lover

13. jandermann1978

jandermann1978 Well-Known Member

...cuz it´s shiny and slick and sexy!!!...also you can play great games on it!!!

14. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

If you don't own a Vita you will be banished from earth!! :D

15. jandermann1978

jandermann1978 Well-Known Member

...that means all my beloved ones will be gone for good...yeah, whatever!!!!...:D

SONY likes this.
  16. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

The Vita is exactly the kind of machine that will be highly collectable someday. It is really underappreciated now, but 10-15 years from now collectors will pay top dollar to get a system in good condition with physical media to play on it. Any rare special edition games will be worth a small fortune. My original intention was to wait and buy a Vita when it was going off the market. However, I spotted an article about Trails of Cold Steel Lion Heart Edition and I realized that if I did not pick up packages like that when they were new then I would have to pay through the nose to get one later.

I personally feel that physical media will become more and more rare as we go forward. It will get to the point where physical game packaging will become like vinyl is to the music industry. There will be small print runs for the collectors and everyone else is expected to download. Most people will be happy with that, especially since the new generation of gamers will have grown up keeping their entire music library and most of their movies on electronic devices. Why should games be different for them?

Unknownwolf likes this.
  17. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

The biggest difference is what a Vita game cart is made of.

18. Unknownwolf

They kind of did this with AR Nosurge. The game does not come standard, you either got the LE or you had to download it. I also feel we are feeling the effects of physical copies. If you are looking for specific games that came out 2-3 years ago, it might be tough to find at a store.

19. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

The problem is the stores might have limited quantities of games on their shelves.

20. AceofOpus

AceofOpus Member

I'm looking at the Vita as a "Dreamcast 2" situation.

It's the end of an era for this type of device and I'd like to be aboe the curve not only for collecting but enjoying it with all the bells and whistles of something while it is supported.

21. leafstalker

leafstalker Active Member

Why own a vita? Because 3DS doesn't give me trophies.

Handhelds going away?

Honestly I have both and love both, but as a man who works full time and goes to college full time; well I just dont spend time at my house. iOS/android games don't hold a candle to the quality handhelds hold, and the 3DS is doing better than the Wii U. I don't think they are fading in popularity the Vita just don't get the advertising it needs.

Physical vs download

If the would give us a handheld unit with a non proprietary sd card I wouldn't mind it. The new 3DS you have to unscrew the case to get at the memory card. This seems counter productive to me. I understand the fear of piracy, but at some point you would worry about alienating your audience. To be honest thought if it just let me keep the bubbles of the downloaded game on my screen when I change SD cards I would be happy.

22. vita_lover

I hope they stay. But it is a matter of economics - if the 3DS and VITA make money and it looks like future handhelds will too - there will be more of them.

We got plenty of time with the current generation so let's enjoy what we have for now.