Why the Vita is still great for me.

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Phil Wyatt, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Phil Wyatt

Phil Wyatt Active Member

I travel a lot for work and my Vita has been the ultimate thing for curing boredom. It still is the system I use the most and will be for a long time to come. The Switch looks good (if seemingly a little too fragile looking...) but I don't think it will replace the Vita for me. For one the mobile battery life looks to be quite short and the games that come out on Nintendo usually never appeal to me as much. I have owned a DS and 3DS but after some brief flirtations i've always returned to my Vita. I for one won't be investing in the switch - the games line up on release is less then impressive for me, sorry to say. Maybe further down the line if it really takes off - but even then I've still got a backlog of Vita games to keep me busy for many years to come.

It still surprises me that so many gamers didn't support the Vita - complaining about memory card prices but the Switch is going to charge huge amounts for it's hardware add-on's and I'm not hearing any complaints... But whatever, there is still a huge Vita fanbase and the games are still selling. And what games! Still have about 20 titles due out this year I'm interested in.

As far as other systems I use for games... the only thing I play on my phone is Piano Tiles :p Other then that, I don't like playing games on it as I prefer physical controllers for most games and don't want waste my phones battery life.

Finally I still own a PS1,2 and 3 but never got around to getting a PS4 or PS4 Pro yet. It seems that a lot of the games coming out for it are not exploiting it's full potential (same could be said for Vita yet I don't really expect a handheld to have AAA games, I'd rather play those on a big system)... plus paying for multiplayer and all the DLC and ADD On levels I find bullshit. So that has put me off getting one for now. I will cave eventually as I want to play the God Of War / Res Evil / Uncharted games on it. Again, those who only want a Vita to play these kind of games... why? You are never going to get the same experience playing the 'big games' on a small handheld.

So what does everyone think? Will the Switch/something else replace the Vita for you or will you still be using it for a long time to come?

Kenza likes this.
  2. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

You can skip the Nintendo Switch add-on's but you are forced to buy expensive PS Vita memory cards, that is why less people complain about the ones for the Switch.

But in fact a lot of people do complain about the add-on prices for the Nintendo Switch.

Will the Switch replace my Vita?

No.

But I will buy the Switch because I'm a gamer and I love games like Mario and Pokémon, Switch will end like my 3DS does now, both 3DS and Vita are my main handhelds, Switch will be the third one.

But I won't buy the switch at launch, first I don't have the money for that kind of investment now and second I'll wait till end of fall before I get one for myself.

3. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Well-Known Member

Phil Wyatt. I understand your praise for the Vita, I really like the system myself. What I don't get is the need to talk down on the Switch. The system is not even out yet, it's a great idea and Breath of the Wild already looks like reason enough to own it. I think if there's anything that will be a problem with the Switch it is the battery life and the size. But it's your loss I guess. I know I will get it. I don't really care if it's Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or whoever that makes the thing I'm playing on, it's all about the games anyway.

Dee0342 likes this.
  4. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

if switch comes out with some games like madworld i will be happy to check it out. but i just don't have the time for a 5th gaming system lol.

5. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

Again a debate Switch VS Vita T-T

First i want to say that regardless what happen the PS Vita is my #1 console FOREVER :D

My opinion is that Nintendo is targeting the Japanese audience thus they are positioning the Switch as the "next portable console" in Japan.

Will Japanese third parties move or not on Switch is what matter to me :rolleyes:

Here why i think they will eventually move on Switch doing PS4/Switch releases :
    • The Switch is more powerful than PS Vita and offer up to 32GB cartridge
    • The PS Vita is a stagnant console, older than PS4 and sell-through rate is declining (see the number of games for sales on Amiami)
    • Switch games pricing offer more liberty than PS Vita when the West is concerned => break the $40 / 40€ wall for publishers
    • PS Vita owners are "really" attached to it and won't go on Switch without very strong incentives
    • How Nintendo will handle niches games like Visual Novels and CERO Z contents remains a big unknown for.
    This will be a long process, probably longer than what expects Nintendo.

I'm really careful about games from Japanese third parties coming on PS4 but not on PS Vita while the audience exists. Those games may come to Switch.
    Here the few ones, i thought about :
    Now let's purchase pop-corns, snacks and drinks and see how all of this will unfold :p

Phil Wyatt likes this.
  6. Fanny Magnet

Fanny Magnet Sex God!

The more I see of the switch the more I like it.

But it's too expensive, especially in terms of games prices and the (initial) range of games is too limited.

My vita with my backlog will keep me happy for at least 3 years. I'll then take a look at the switch, see how it's going then.

Phil Wyatt likes this.
  7. Dee0342

Dee0342 Well-Known Member

Personally I am not interested in the Switch as a handheld. The size and batterylife isn't ideal for bringing along with me on the road at all. I also doubt this will replace the Gameboy/DS line. With that said, I am interested in it as a console and there are already enough announcements for me that I want one eventually.

8. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

I feel that the switch might become a great console, it won't initially overtake the current DS lineup and stuff, but it needs time to grow. I don't think it's inherently a bad console or a bad idea, i don't think anyone is saying that yet, but the first few months will be a slow burn. I think in a year or 2 it will be interesting to see how it has grown and i hope it gets support from players, but more than that i hope that it can bring back some backwards compatability like the sony and microsoft line is doing.

If you look at PS4 and Xbox One they have healthy backwards compatibility and digital catalogues offering great classics for today. Does Nintendo have anything that compares? I would like to see some N64 games get backwards compatability and some Gamecube games (underrated system in my opinion). There is much Nintendo could do with this new console to grow into the market place.

9. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I agree with this. But the same could be said for any console. I for now have chosen not to go for a Switch. I can't afford to collect for another machine and I'm enjoying the Vita and other machines. The only thing I would wish for on the Vita is more ps2 ports. There's no killer racing game so I'd love some of the Burnouts. Also the fps Black, Id love that on the Vita.

10. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

I think that many of us will get the Switch only of there is a sufficient library of games.
    Few will get it just for one game.

Unfortunately for me, i will probably get it for Xenoblade 2 :(

11. Vita_Girl

PS4 isn't backwards compatible, and rebuying that small amount of PS2 games doesn't count for me, have to say that Xbox One does is better with 360 games and Nintendo has even longer history of backwards compatible systems.

If you want to play almost all Nintendo handheld games a GBA SP and New 3DS are enough, GBA plays GB, GBC and GBA and New 3DS plays DS, 3DS and New 3DS games.

GameCube games work on Wii and Wii games work on Wii U, Switch is something completly different and uses cartridges, Virtual Console could do the same like on the Wii U and 3DS but I don't count those because just like with PS4 you need to rebuy them if you own them physically.

On the Vita it's a littlebit different, I know some people who have a lot of digital PSP games and you can redownload some of them, but stupidly enough a lot of them don't work of aren't available for the sake of nothing, PS Vita runs a fully fledged PSP OS for PSP games so in fact there should be no restrictions at all.

The PSP OS on the Vita has even the same bugs as the one on PSP itself... (lol)

In my opinion true backwards compatibility is mostly physical games that work on a next gen console like DS on 3DS or PS1 on PS2 and PS3.

Rebuying those games digitally doesn't count for me because mostly they are emulated.

12. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

The nice thing about handhelds is they are easy to collect and own multiple units, they store in a small space and it's really easy to get them out and play them.

I bought a VITA to play it's great games and no other reason. I found the 3DS library of games to be disappointing and bought the VITA to fill the voids - which it did in aces and spades.

So - for me to buy a Switch - just release lots of great games I simply have to play and you got my money.

I'd love to see the Switch have lots of great games like the Nintendo DS did, so I have my eye on it.

Until then, the VITA is still getting tons of great games - so I'm supporting the system for another year at least.

My bet is the OLED screen VITA goes real collectible!

13. Phil Wyatt

Phil Wyatt Active Member

Y
    Yeah that's fair enough. I agree with you about the memory cards. Unless you get a small memory card and go physical only, you have no choice. Sony did screw up here and never rectified the problem.

14. Phil Wyatt

Phil Wyatt Active Member

I guess I wasn't intentionally talking down on the Switch. I guess a lot of us Vita owners have become very defensive from all the haters and naysayers constantly being negative about it over the years, it's had so much grief from people saying the system is dead, it's actually gone a long way into getting games cancelled and players/developers giving up on it or never even giving it a chance. Saying that, I will try and give the Switch a chance like I do all systems. Just not right at launch for me :)

15. Ghost of Arcadia

Ghost of Arcadia Well-Known Member

The Vita is a great underrated system. It deserves more love.

Phil Wyatt likes this.
  16. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

Gamestops around me are actually selling used OLED VITAs at premium prices......one reason the memory cards are so expensive is anti-piracy software. Sony was trying to fight software piracy with the new memory cards and from what I heard it worked......the PSP with cheap unprotected memory had rampant software piracy. Now, the memory prices for the PSV didn't help it's popularity one bit.

Now, for the Switch - interesting system, I may go ipad Pro or Switch in 2018 for my next handheld - games and software will be the deciding factors.

Phil Wyatt likes this.
  17. Ghost of Arcadia

Ghost of Arcadia Well-Known Member

I agree the memory prices didn't help. Sony's paranoia with hacks and piracy hurt the Vita with their expensive memory cards. The 3DS didn't need any proprietary memory card format and sold well. Sure maybe not sold quite like the handhelds from last generation (seventh generation) but 60+ million 3DS sold in a market dominated by smartphones & tablets is kinda impressive.

I remember when Marissa Roberto from EPDaily (Electric Playground) was interviewing Matt Levitan from Sony PlayStation Canada years ago in a Youtube video and explained why the proprietary memory card had to be used for the Vita and one of those reasons was to combat piracy.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  18. sean

sean irishnerd47

I love my vita and nothing can replace it's game lineup for me atm. Too invested in vita preorders through out the year atm to consider a switch.

Still disappointed in nintendo this is the second console to release with potential for 2 screen support and I can't find the 3ds card reader anywhere on them. Seriously how can they be so awesome and so out of touch at the same time. Sony you can join them in just baffling me with some of your decisions. Hunted all 4 sides of the ps4 pro still no vita cart reader or umd player. How does this not make sense to them, all the money comes from game sale, bah they make my brain hurt.

Phil Wyatt likes this.
  19. Phil Wyatt

Phil Wyatt Active Member

Yeah of course Sony, Xbox Nintendo want us to spend more money paying for digital copies and/or subscribing to a streaming game service, which I detest personally - having to pay for games we have already bought at some point in the past. That's why Vita is still great - DLC is creeping in more and more even on the handheld but it's still manageable, there's no game that requires you buy DLC to complete it, for example. However, a lot of games on the big consoles are going crazy with DLC. The new Zelda game on Switch it seems you have to pay even to unlock hard mode... that sounds just too much. I have been put off getting any big console from the way they fleece customers like this... will get a PS4 Pro eventually... but a few more years down the line, I'm patient :p

20. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

This! It's a shame Sony didn't give the Vita enough support, so many great PS2 games that would be awesome on Vita, I would so love to be able to play Rollcage on it.

21. Vita_Girl

PS2 games on the PlayStation Vita would be my biggest wish especially if GTA San Andreas would be in that list :)

zodaex likes this.