Would/do you play your Vita in public?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Stryfe, Jan 7, 2015.

1. rbnoble06

rbnoble06 Active Member

I used to hate getting the bus everyday and wished I was able to drive my own car to uni. Now I have my Vita though, my attitude has completely changed and I can't wait to get on the bus and play my games!

Stryfe likes this.
  2. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

I guess there are pros and cons to commuting via public transport vs driving yourself. Even though I commute in, I usually have to stand up and therefore don't get the chance to play on my Vita.

3. Unknownwolf

Unknownwolf Well-Known Member

I deliver Chinese food and when I do not have an order I play my Vita.

I play while walking to class or in-between classes at college

Stryfe likes this.
  4. MrAlsVita

MrAlsVita Well-Known Member

I play my Vita and N3DS XL everywhere I can. I played it when my truck was getting the oil changed and in the line up at the license renewal place.

5. benna

benna Well-Known Member

I bring my vita with me to work almost everyday. I'd mostly play it on bathroom breaks or lunch. Monsters delux HD (or games where you can finish a level in 5-10minutes) is good for bathroom breaks.
    For lunch i use the local wifi and browse news a bit. No I don't have a cell phone or tablet.
    80% of my vita play is at home though, and mostly in bed. I use it kinda like "reading a book before bed".
    The other 10% i'd say is at dinner when I'm alone. Turn based strategy games are great at dinner. I used to play Advance Wars on my DSlite at dinner.
    I don't play my vita outside due to the bright sunlight washing out the display.
    I don't play my vita on the bus due to the shaking and constant stopping. I tend to watch the world go by through the window when I'm outside.
    I'd play it on a Plane or Train ride where its long (> 2 hours). or at the airport where you wait alot.
    It's kinda nice to bring on camping trips in the tent... but usually you want to concentrate on camping then or reading a book, because recharging is kinda limited in the outdoors. ;)
    A Vita is great when you are travelling on business, in hotels. Since its a portable game system, and I don't watch TV anymore. Like i said, I use it as a book to relax before bed.

brooksishere and MrAlsVita like this.
  6. MrAlsVita

I only turn on my TV for anime. Other than that I am either on my laptop or gaming.

7. benna

benna Well-Known Member

If I watch anime, its on my computer, streaming or on disc. I cant handle commercials anymore.
    The only thing I watch on TV/cable is SPORTS...and then again, only the NFL. I've stopped watching hockey all together about 3 years ago. I dont think ive turned on the TV since the NFL season ended in January..and probably wont until I get NFL Sunday ticket in September. :p

I watch movies on a home theatre projector, not a TV. 3D BLU-RAY ROOLZ :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  8. MrAlsVita

I turn on my TV to watch my DVD/Blu-ray collection. TV in the west doesn't air anime. :D I also have my Crunchyroll account to stream the newest shows. I am watching My First Love and Plastic Memories.

9. benna

benna Well-Known Member

Not to derail the topic of this thread but how is Crunchyroll account? I've only used the "free" streaming of older anime. Girls und panzer, Oreimo, sakurasou and SAO. Kyle also recommended a couple of anime to me.. but mostly i'm years behind, because I haven't been into anime for probably a decade. I moved to asian (japanese dramas n movies) several years ago, mostly deal with family, friends and trying to survive life/business. I cant stand the western CSI, drugs n dufus's, and reality TV stuff anymore.

10. MrAlsVita

I have had my Crunchyroll account for over a year now and I love it. There is always something good to watch and you see the newest anime that is on TV in Japan.

I am with you there on the western stuff on TV. It's so bad right now with the reality TV shit! :(

benna likes this.
  11. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Member

I play on the bus. I have a 40 min journey to work. Lots of time to kill. Also play on my lunch break.

12. HomelyBird

HomelyBird Member

I used to care what people thought of me at university, but then my vita fell out of my bag and garnered some snippy comments from my classmates. Now I just don't give $#%@

13. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Does it not look super weird and feel awkward to be seen carrying the PS Vita into the toilet.

14. Clockwerks77

Clockwerks77 New Member

I think that the potential social faux pas of having a portable gaming system with you is becoming a thing of the past, especially since most people have their noses buried in their phones these days. If you are being socially inappropriate than sure, it could be awkward. But when killing time waiting for an appointment, or on the bus or something? Perfectly fine. Just so long as you aren't ignoring folks around you.

Eldritch, HomelyBird and brooksishere like this.
  15. TEKTORO

TEKTORO Well-Known Member

Only exceptions for me would be either taking a flight or downtime while vacationing such as beach or camping. Otherwise not so much for local commuting, and probably lunch breaks when I don't play enough at home and need my fix.

Definitely great for a blackout though. :p

16. b0h3mian

b0h3mian Well-Known Member

Yes I do, mainly on the trains and bus.

A kid was staring at the vita when i was playing it, while waiting for the bus. Well...most people are swiping away on their candies or facebook feeds.

I like buttons :)

PS: I actually saw a guy playing the Vita Slim a few days ago. Did not manage to see what game though. However, i have seen more 3DSs in the wild..and only once the Nvidia Shield Portable. However, this is hardly representative of the place I live in, coz I'm working from home these days.

brooksishere and MrAlsVita like this.
  17. ukcraigie

ukcraigie Member

I always play it in public, it always starts conversations too, the only time i have ever stopped mid game was on a bus, an old guy maybe 70 came and sat next to me half way through a game of the binding of issac, he was watching and got very intrigued lol i couldn't let him sit through that and be scarred so i switched it off and put fifa on

MrAlsVita likes this.
  18. benna

benna Well-Known Member

nope. My vita is always kept stored in this case. You cant even tell what it is. Its dual areas. One area contains the vita, the other contains the 32 game card holder (shown) and ear-phones. That's what I love about my vita. Its so compact. My 2 black and white vitas, +200 digital & physical games take up the size of 2 shoes in my dresser drawer. I have 4 of those 32 game holders. 2 remain with the 2 vitas in the 2 cases and 2 spares.
    [​IMG]

MrAlsVita likes this.
  19. ukcraigie

ukcraigie Member

man thats rare!!! lol you should have gone up and asked, i wouldn't of been able to help myself! i have never seen another ps vita owner in person, when i was at college there used to be a group of ds players but never a vita player

20. MrAlsVita

I will never be one of those cell phone zombies! xD Most of my friends love the games they see on my Vita and 3DS. One of the guys that works with me has a Vita.

21. KaL-V3

KaL-V3 New Member

I always have my Vita with me but i rarely play on my 45 min train commute due to either still too sleepy to focus on games or the train is so packed that i have to use one hand to hang on, and that is 75% of the time.
    I was traveling for work recently and i was playing Persona 1 (PSP) on the plane on my Vita. A guy sitting across the aisle, 2 rows back saw what i was playing and asked me about it.
    "Excuse me, What are you playing?" Persona 1 is said. "Ah cool, i was saying to myself, it looks like persona but it doesn't look like Persona 3 at all." I told him im trying (key word: trying) to play through all the Personas before 5 comes out.
    And that's the most interesting Vita in public story i have. lol

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Stryfe likes this.
  22. StrayFeral

StrayFeral New Member

I used to. Not the last month really. I like quick games like Spelunky when comutting, not anything requiring lot of concentration. And I jam on Vita when comutting too.

23. AceofOpus

AceofOpus Member

We've been going to the beach this summer and so I have about a solid hour and a half one way to boot up my Vita. I am trying to slowly burn through my backlog. Right now I am playing some Splunkey in between larger titles like YS IV and Natural Doctrine.

MrAlsVita likes this.
  24. pkmaximum

pkmaximum Member

I'll play the Vita just about anywhere.....except work.

Examples,

Library, bus, train, waiting rooms (of sorts), movie theaters (before the movie), car-rides, friend's houses, etc.

Big problem with the Vita when it comes to playing in public, you always have to be in a dark setting. The screen on the Vita is just so dim compared to my iPhone. I wish SONY would address this by releasing another Vita with a iphone-like screen with very high brightness so playing in day-time is viable. I know I'm dreaming though.

One of my favorite things to do (and I'm amazed how well this works), when I feel like playing BloodBorne, I use my phone as a hotspot and remote-play my PS4. I've beaten so many difficult chalice dungeons like this lol.

25. Kyoren

Kyoren Member

Usually backstage during Cosplay Event Performances here. I play bass in a band and I usually play Project Diva or the likes to get my rhythm kicking xD I'm usually last to get on-stage though. Headphones blocking out the MC. hahahaha