Your PS Vita Origin story

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Unknownwolf, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Unknownwolf

Unknownwolf Well-Known Member

I thought this would be cool thread of people saying how different members came to own a os vita. For example:
    • When/why did you buy it?
    • What was your first game?
    • What changed the Vita in your eyes from a handheld to "the" handheld.
    I came to own a ps vita because I loved my PSP, I enjoyed playing god of war, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and Ridge racer on my PSP. It was August 2012, my mom promised me that she would buy me a PS Vita after I finished my summer work (I guess she didnt believe I would do it... Lol). I bought the vita when gamestop had a buy a vita get a $50 gift card, which i used to buy the memory card and Ultimate marvel and capcom . I played it and I got bored of it, the ridge racer game wasn't as good as the PSP version and my vita sat there. In 2014 I got FIfa 13 and 14 for my vita which got me playing it again. But my friend bugged me for weeks to get Persona 4 because he knew I had a vita. That game changed everything for mt. That was the moment the vita became my go to console and I have loved it since!

P.S sorry if there is a thread like this already, I havent seen one.

psn_Witcher likes this.
  2. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

My story is pretty dull but here goes:

I never had a PSP, but my brother did and I'd borrowed it for a couple of games years ago. I picked up a Vita in January 2013 so I could have a crack at some of the PSP titles I'd never had a chance to play, plus whatever might come out later. My first game for it was Ragnarok Odyssey (not exactly a system seller to many people) which was fuelled heavily by nostalgia I wish I'd never let develop - great game though. Two weeks later and the newest iteration of Fire Emblem came out and I bought the 3DS bundle. I don't know when the Vita became 'the handheld' for me, it was kind of a gradual thing. At the time, the 3DS and Vita were both getting some great games so my attention was more or less evenly divided. When the "building the list" initiative started in September 2013 I started paying a lot more attention to industry news (since it's when I signed up for Twitter) and I found a lot more sources for Playsation news than Nintendo, and there was just so much more of it being reported. The 3DS games (that I was interested in) stopped coming, and the Vita's didn't, plus it had all those PSP games still.

Thinking back on it, it aligns pretty closely with when this forum started up. I'd been looking for some decent forums for both handhelds, and never found one for the 3DS. I was part of another Vita forum for a bit but I jumped ship when this one started up and I'd be willing to bet I'd be less invested in my Vita if I wasn't part of the community surrounding it.

I do still like my 3DS; in fact my collection there is set to increase drastically in coming months - but even then it'll be pretty small compared to the Vita library I've gradually built up.

3. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

I was a 3Ds gamer first. I read an article where the 3ds was getting NO adventure games in 2013 and the Vita 6. I though WTF - and one of the releases was Corpse Party Book of Shadows........

So off to Gamestop I went - one used PSV and about 20 used PSV games later.........Heaven.

Among the used PSV games - Virtues Last Reward and Persona 4 Golden.......Wow.

I do still play the 3ds due to Persona Q is amazing - saved the system from being turned in for trade credit.

4. Goro

Goro Well-Known Member

Liked the PSP and the Vita looked like it had everything I wanted in a successor. Managed to get one in February 2012 with a decent discount so I decided to bite. Nothing to it really.

First games were Welcome Park, Mutant Blobs and Super Stardust Delta. Didn't buy any physical games with the Vita.

I don't think the Vita is "the handheld" but what makes it unique is that it is the only one that can actually offer the "full console experience on the go" for certain genres.

5. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

1. December 2011, in Japan, because I wanted a PS3 in in my hands, OTG.
    2. All 3 on the same day: Ridge Racer, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Virtua Tennis 4
    3. At the time, the graphics (which smartphones and tablets have now surpassed)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  6. psn_Witcher

psn_Witcher Active Member

I owned a PSP and have some very fond memories of outstanding games (Persona 3, Dissidia, Metal Gear Peace Walker, FF7 Crisis Core). The Vita seemed to up the ante and bring in a more connected experience. Remote play was the icing on the cake. I pre-ordered the "Early Adopter" edition which launched a month or so earlier than the rest. I picked up Uncharted, Army Corps of Hell (gun) and Shinobido at launch. The big change was definitely the seamless "on the go" connection. Love being always connected to the Sony ecosphere.

SONY likes this.
  7. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I'd had a PSP since launch and had enjoyed many years of playing brilliant games on it, so when Sony announced it's successor it was an easy decision for me.

The Vita promised everything I was looking for - more power, beautiful screen, twin analogue sticks and some of the best Playstation franchises on launch.

So I bought mine on launch in February 2012 along with Uncharted Golden Abyss, Ridge Racer and WipEout 2048. I also downloaded Super Stardust Delta and Escape Plan. From that point I was hooked with my interest maintained by a wide variety of interesting titles, which I'd never even consider getting for the PS3/PS4 and an active, vocal community.

8. NinjaMicWZ

NinjaMicWZ Well-Known Member

I bought mine sales tax free at a Gamestop in New Hampshire when I lived at the beach in Massachusetts about a week after the system launched. Picked up the WiFi model, an 8GB card and a game.

I bought it because I was moving state, and after a lifetime of tumultuous moving that's always resulted in me having to sell my consoles, games etc and go nomad with a backpack and a bag etc, I just wanted to still be able to game and not worry about packing space or TV's anymore. The Vita had just launched and it seemed like perfect timing. A system that I knew would have a great LittleBigPlanet game on it soon (but took a lot longer than expected), and seemed to be some cutting edge, PlayStation kit, seemed like a great plan. I also assumed that PSOne classics would be along soon enough.

Even though I didn't necessarily want to part with it, I had to, so I took my PS3 and games to Gamestop, traded it all in and walked away feeling set. It might sound weird to most people, but I've had a very unstable life when it comes to the certainty of living arrangements and housing, due to regularly unforeseen circumstances and Vita was intended to be my anchor that could hold me down, even if I was living in a dirt bag motel and just getting by. I figured that no matter what, I could always throw this in a bag and take it with me. I'd had portable systems in the past that were excellent for long commutes to work that continued at home, so I was going all in on this, mentally. It was resolute.
    Rayman Origins. That's what I bought it with. I love 2D games, I had never gotten around to buying it for PS3, and I thought it was amazing. Coupled with that new Vita amazingness feeling (my first HD screen and touch device too, so I felt like I was in the future lol), I was having a blast with it. First game I ever bothered to platinum too.

Next game I got was Final Fantasy IV: Complete. I love FFIV, never owned a PSP, and loved it. Within the first month I also picked up Hot Shots Golf, Super Stardust Delta and got Motorstorm RC for free. All were soooo good to me.
    Reading online, I already saw tons of stuff I wanted coming down the line, hell I remember that initial listing for Dragon's Crown on Amazon before the publisher changed to Atlus, to save the game. I was hype for that from the get go. Already eyeballing Retro City Rampage (right around when I was becoming an indie fiend who was glad to see 2D going through a comeback renaissance), Gravity Rush... when I got to play the LBP Vita beta, I knew I'd be set for life with this, because I was such an avid, hardcore LBP creator that I could have only this system, if need be, and never be bored.

Games I loved and enjoyed like crazy started coming along, from Gravity Rush to Muramasa and Persona 4 (never got to play that on PS2, due to other situations :p), the 2D indie machine heaven was starting for me, solid multiplatform/crossbuy stuff, the PSOne support was combining with the PS2 classic releases and announcements to be the "half of all my favorite games are on one beautiful screen, with great controls, in my pocket" consolidated anchor that I wanted it to be... and on that note, it's THE handheld, because if I had to pick one system to take with me, it'd be the Vita. It's my gamer bug out bag.

SONY likes this.
  9. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I'm really feeling you man! Always keep your head up!

zodaex and NinjaMicWZ like this.
  10. Cruzinats

Cruzinats Member

Early november in 2012, secondhand with 2 games and a 8GB memorycard for €220, I think shortly after that the price of the Vita dropped I remember being frustrated with that...
    Uncharted & Rayman Origins, the first game I bought from the store was Ridge Racer and the main reason I bought my Vita was for Persona 4 Golden at the time.
    I now have both a Vita and 3DS and the Vita in my opinion feels a lot more versatile, better video game deals, no region lock, more options to buy your games from and just a better experience in general thanks to the superior hardware, I've always been a fan of the JRPGs on the PS3 so I'm happy that the legacy continues on the Vita. Besides I also like trophies so that's another HUGE reason why Vita is my main handheld.

11. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

PS Vita = The Best portable/handheld gaming ever :)

12. TWINBLADE98

TWINBLADE98 Member

The reason I worked very hard in a bakery shop (even though I'm a college student) to earn money for my Vita is because of one game (yup, I buy my vita just for a game!) ~ Hyperdimension Neptunia

13. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Lol, you're dedicated :D

14. B91212R

B91212R Active Member

It was/ is my first ever handheld and I got mine Sept 2013 mainly because I had preordered my first Sony console (4) since owning the original PlayStation and was impatient in waiting for November, plus I liked the idea of a companion device because I'd never had anything like that before. 2 years on and and I never use it for companion purposes or remote play, yet it gets by far the biggest majority of my limited free time for gaming.

Brilliant device, I would be lost without it. Recently preordered the aqua blue version to cover for any unforeseen circumstances that may arise in the future. Is there such a thing as Vita Anonymous?

15. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

No, lol. But if there was I'd be first to stand up and talk about it.

16. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

I bought my Vita during its launch month in the UK, along with Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Lumines Electronic Symphony and Wipeout 2048, the latter being the first game I played on the system. I'd also owned a PSP since before it actually launched in the UK, (through a site selling Japanese PSPs illegally, and my console arrived literally days before the site was shut down! :p) and was a big fan of the system. I'm also a die-hard Sony fanboy, (as my sig would suggest) and knew I had to own the Vita.

As for what turned it into THE handheld... Well, actually, that took a while. For the longest time I purposefully steered clear of playing the Vita for fear of running out of things to play. I also had a bunch of PSP games I played instead, so the Vita took a definite backseat to my other systems for the first year or so. I was also adamant about only playing handheld games away from home, so I didn't play them a whole bunch. I bought many Vita games at launch and never played them, because I couldn't bear to run out of games for it. (How ironic...)

It finally became THE handheld when I got around to playing Virtue's Last Reward and Killzone: Mercenary. All of a sudden, the system sparked my interest like never before and I went back and played those games I'd neglected like Gravity Rush and Tearaway. My love for handhelds came back in full force, and I even began making more time for my PSP. I began regularly playing handhelds at work during break, and as of now, I almost always manage to fit in half an hour of play. On a really quiet day, (like today) that can stretch to an hour. It gives me that extra incentive to keep working so I can reach my next break.

I've tried mobile gaming, and I always end up getting bored really quickly with any game I try. Handheld games are much more expensive, but offer a far better experience in the vast majority of cases.

But here's the thing... I still think the PSP is awesome, and offers tons of great games, some of which I still need to get around to buying. The Vita still wins, however, because of the actual design of the console itself. (PSP analog nub isn't great...)

The Vita has the potential to be even more fantastic. It all just depends on whether we see more games get localised. I live in hope. (Come on, Net High, God Eater 2, Tokyo Xanadu and Yomawari...)

17. AceofOpus

AceofOpus Member

I bought my Vita in late November of 2012 after seeing the Assassin's Creed: Liberation bundle being a lighting deal from Amazon. I would have probably purchased it regardless that year anyway seeing as I had already bought my copy of Persona 4 Golden. After playing through that title again, and with the money I got for Christmas that year I began going out and expanding my library of games.

I think what changed my mind for the Vita being THE portable handheld I wanted to play was my enjoyment of all the games I got and was getting either buying them physically, digitally or through PS+. The ability to still play some of my favorite PS1 games was definitely a plus too (though that was a plus about me being a long time PSP player as well).

18. jmontero

jmontero Well-Known Member

I will tell my origin story then, it all first started when I was watching the Sony conference, I remember when they first show it and fell in love at first sight, I thought it was the definitive handheld, it was gonna be THE handheld. By the first day they open pre-orders for VITA in my nearest Game (the store), I run to the store and pre-ordered it with Uncharted and Gravity Rush.
    Bought it the first day, well actually 2 days earlier because they started selling it 2 day before the official launch date, I remember that they didn't even put the console and the games in the Shelves and I was already telling the Store manager to let me buy it, and he sold me the very first console in that store. It had Uncharted as a released game, it is my favorite game series and I never doubt it was gonna be a great game so it was the only reason I needed to buy it
    As I said before, it was Uncharted
    Apart from the moment when they announce it, there was this time, back when I was living in the US that it was my main console, I have the psp, ps1, ps2, ps3, n3ds, gameboy, nds, n64 and a couple more, but the all the games I was playing were the VITA games, I saw my shelves where I have all my collection and said: Man, I have almost every Vita game to date, I am enjoying almost every single game in my console, I should collect for this handheld.

And here I am, I am missing 2 retail games from the European and US catalogue, I have 5 different Vitas, I have around 7 games coming in the next few weeks, and I can't stop playing, I also have a ps4 and I never play it, cause when I have a bit of free time I play vita, I have played almost every single Vita game I have, and I have 172 games. I never like a console this much.

SONY likes this.
  19. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Try collecting every single Japanese Vita game out.

jmontero likes this.
  20. jmontero

jmontero Well-Known Member

Yeah Actually I would love it, but I only buy games I can play/understand. That is why I never buy japanese games, cause I know I can't play them.

21. jandermann1978

jandermann1978 Well-Known Member

Bought my little Baby a week after it´s European Release in February 2012 with an 8GB Memcard, Ridge Racer, Virtua Tennis 4 and Uncharted Golden Abyss and since that time I´m totally lovin it...feels way more better in my hands than the 3DS and I was sure back then it will be a great gaming device for JRPGS...that´s why I bought it...and turns out pretty rewarding for me so far...

PS:...oh, and I had a PSP before...so, I already knew about that Vita and looked up every bit of news before release... ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Unknownwolf likes this.